VLOOKUP match first n characters and return to another column in Excel
Sometimes, you may want to look up a value which match the first n characters to a given data, then return the relative data in another column as below screenshot shown. Here, this article provides a VLOOKUP formula to handle this job.
Select a cell that you will place the returning value in, then type this formula
Then press Enter key to get the result.
B1 is the first cell of the column you want to sum up the rows.
Above formula is case insensitive.
Note: If you want to look up a value then return to another column, you can use the Look up a value in list function of Kutools for Excel to quickly handle it as below screenshot show.
Free install Kutools for Excel now.
Click to download the sample file
Other Operations (Articles) Related To VLOOKUP
The VLOOOKUP Function
Now this tutorial will explain the syntaxt and argument of the VLOOKUP function, also will provides some basic examples for explaining VLOOKUP function.
VLOOKUP with drop down list
In Excel, VLOOKUP and drop down list are two useful functions. However, have you tried to VLOOKUP with drop down list?
VLOOKUP and SUM
Using vlookup and sum function helps you quickly find out the specified criteria and sum the corresponding values at the same time.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns and Keeping Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows and Sum/Average... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Favorite and Quickly Insert Formulas, Ranges, Charts and Pictures; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- Pivot Table Grouping by week number, day of week and more... Show Unlocked, Locked Cells by different colors; Highlight Cells That Have Formula/Name...
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!