Combine the COUNTIF and LEFT functions to count cells begin with a certain character in Excel
To count the number of cells which begin with a certain character in Excel, you can combine the COUNTIF and LEFT functions to get it done. Actually there are different kinds of formulas can achieve it. This tutorial will guide you step by step.
Use formulas to count cells begin with a certain character
Supposing you have a text string list as below screenshot shown, now, to count number of cells that begin with the character “K”, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste the below formula into it and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously to get the result.
1) A2:A6 is the range contains the text string you will count; 1 means that you will count cells begins with one character; and “K” is the character you will count cells based on. Please change them as you need.
2) The below formulas can also help to get it down: =COUNTIF(A2:A6,"K*") =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A2:A6,1)="K"))
An awesome feature to easily count cells begin with a certain character
1. Select the range of cells you will count, click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Select Specific Cells dialog, you need to:
2.1) Select Cell in the Selection type section;
2.2) Choose Begins with from the Specific type drop-down list;
2.3) Enter the character you will count cells based on into the textbox;
2.4) Click OK.
3. Then another Select Specific Cells dialog pops up to tell you how many cells in selected range are beginning with “K”, and at the same time, all qualified cells are selected automatically. Click OK to close the dialog.
If you want to have a free trial ( 30-day) of this utility, please click to download it, and then go to apply the operation according above steps.
Use countif with multiple criteria in Excel In Excel, COUNTIF function may help us to calculate the number of a certain value in a list. But sometimes, we need to use multiple criteria for counting, this will be more complex, today, I will talk about some items for counting with multiple criteria.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.