Combine the COUNTIF and LEFT functions to count cells begin with a certain character in Excel
To count the number of cells which begin with a certain character in Excel, you can combine the COUNTIF and LEFT functions to get it done. Actually there are different kinds of formulas can achieve it. This tutorial will guide you step by step.
Supposing you have a text string list as below screenshot shown, now, to count number of cells that begin with the character “K”, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, copy and paste the below formula into it and press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys simultaneously to get the result.
- 1) A2:A6 is the range contains the text string you will count; 1 means that you will count cells begins with one character; and “K” is the character you will count cells based on. Please change them as you need.
- 2) The below formulas can also help to get it down:
1. Select the range of cells you will count, click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Select Specific Cells dialog, you need to:
- 2.1) Select Cell in the Selection type section;
- 2.2) Choose Begins with from the Specific type drop-down list;
- 2.3) Enter the character you will count cells based on into the textbox;
- 2.4) Click OK.
3. Then another Select Specific Cells dialog pops up to tell you how many cells in selected range are beginning with “K”, and at the same time, all qualified cells are selected automatically. Click OK to close the dialog.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!