How to insert or start new line in Excel cell?
If you need to insert a new line in an Excel cell, how could you deal with it? This article introduces 4 solutions for you.
- Start a new line in a cell with shortcut
- Start a new line in a cell with formula
- Start new lines in a cell with clipboard
- Start new lines in cells with a cool tool
You can use Alt + Enter keys to start a new line in a cell easily.
Double click into the cell, put the cursor at the place where you will start a new line, and then press the Alt + Enter keys together. And then you will see a new line is inserted into the cell.
You can also apply a formula to start new lines in a cell.
For example, the cell content is “ABCD”, you can change the content to below formula, and press the Enter key. Then enable warping text with clicking Home > Wrap Text.
If you want to start new lines to enter adjacent cell contents, you can use the clipboard to get it done easily in Excel.
1. Enable the clipboard with clicking the anchor at the bottom-right corner of the Clipboard group on the Home tab.
2. Select the rows you will add as new lines in a cell, and press Ctrl + C keys together to copy it. Then the range is added into the clipboard.
3. Double click into a cell, and click the copied range in the clipboard.
Then the copied range is added into this cell, and each row is added as a new line. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its cool Combine feature to add cell contents in the same row or column as a new line in cells easily.
1. Select the range as you need, and click Kutools > Combine.
2. In the Combine Columns or Rows dialog, please check the Combine Rows and New Line options, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
Now you will see cell contents in each column are add as new lines into the first cell of corresponding column. See screenshot:
If check the Combine Columns and New Line options, and click the Ok button in the Combine Columns or Rows dialog, you will see cell contents in each row are inserted as new lines in to the first cell of corresponding row. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!