How to generate random character strings in a range in Excel?
Sometimes you may need to generate random strings in cells, such as different passwords. This article tries to show you some tricks to generate different random strings in Excel.
The following formulas can help you generate random numbers, letters and alphanumeric values in a range in Excel.
1. To create a random 5-digit number between 10000 and 99999, use this formula: =RANDBETWEEN(10000,99999), and press Enter key, a 5-digit number will be display in a cell, then select the cell and drag the fill handle across to the range that you want to contain this formula, a range of 5-digit numbers have been generated, see screenshots:
Note: you can change the arguments to get your need.
2. To create a random letter, use the this formula: =CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)). This formula can generate a random letter from a to z, if you need to create four random letters, you need to use & character to add the letters. Such as =CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))& CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)) & CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90)). Then you will get a four random letters, and then drag the fill handle over to the range that you want to contain this formula. See screenshot:
(1.)The formula is valid in Excel 2007, 2010, and 2013, but not Excel 2003. In Excel 2003, please use the formula =CHAR(INT(RAND()* 25 + 65)) & CHAR(INT(RAND()* 25 + 65)) & CHAR(INT(RAND()* 25 + 65)) & CHAR(INT(RAND()* 25 + 65))
(2.) In formula 65 is A and 90 is Z.
(3.) You can use the character & to add the number of letters you need.
3. To create a random alphanumeric string that has two letters and two numbers, use this formula: =CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(65,90))&RANDBETWEEN(10,99) And you will get the following strings in a range which contain two letters and two numbers:
Note: you can change the arguments to get the digit number as you need, and use & to add the number of letters.
Easily generate random character strings in selected range:
It is easy to generate random character strings with specific characters and text length with the Insert Random Data utility of Kutools for Excel.
Download Kutools for Excel Now! (30-day free trail)
If you feel above formulas are difficult and troublesome, the following VBA code can help you much easier. Please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module window.
Public Function RandomizeF(Num1 As Integer, Num2 As Integer) 'Update 20131107 Dim Rand As String Application.Volatile getLen = Int((Num2 + 1 - Num1) * Rnd + Num1) Do i = i + 1 Randomize Rand = Rand & Chr(Int((85) * Rnd + 38)) Loop Until i = getLen RandomizeF = Rand End Function
3. Then save and close the code, in a cell, enter this function =RandomizeF(x,y) to insert a random character string with a minimum length of x characters, and a maximum length of y characters.
4. In this example, I will use function =RandomizeF(5,10) to generate a character string which between 5 and 10 characters. Then press Enter key, select the cell and drag the fill handle to the range you want to contain this function. And random of alphanumeric and specific character strings which between 5 and 10 characters have been created. See screenshot:
Is there a way to generate random strings with letters, numbers, and special characters, or more? Kutools for Excel's Insert Random Data is an excellent random number (and text string) generator, which can generate random numbers, random text string, or random numbers & text& symbols with all kinds of characters, including letters, numbers, special characters, space, and even custom strings.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select a range in which you will generate random strings, and then click Kutools > Insert > Insert Random Data. See screenshot:
3. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, click String tab, and choose the type of characters as you need, then specify the length of the string in the String length box, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then the selected range has been filled with random character strings.
Tip: if you want to generate or insert a specified formatting data strings (such as ????@.??.com) in a range, you can also use this utility. Do as this:
1. Select a range and specify the characters and check By mask. Then input the specified data strings you need. See screenshot:
Note: Using ? to indicate a digit of random character in the final specified formatting strings.
2. Then click OK or Apply. The specified formatting data strings have been generated randomly as follows. See screenshot:
Kutools for Excel's Insert Random Data can help you easily process the following operations in a range cells.
- Generate or insert random numbers in a range
- Generate or insert random date in a range
- Generate or insert a custom list in a range
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!