Randomly insert whole numbers / dates / time between two numbers/dates/times without repeats
Kutools for Excel's Insert Random Data utility enables to insert random integers (whole numbers) between two certain numbers easily, randomly insert a series of dates (only workdays, or only weekends, or no limitation) between two dates, randomly insert a series times between two times, or generate random text strings with certain length. And the Unique values option will prevent from inserting duplicates. Full Feature Free Trial 30-day!
Office Tab Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier...
Insert random numbers between two numbers with RAND function and RANDBETWEEN formulas
This method will apply the RAND function and RANDBETWEEN function to insert random numbers between two numbers into a specified range in Excel. Please view below formulas:
A random number between 0 and 1 (varies)
A random number between 0 and 100 (varies)
A random integral number between two given integer numbers, such as RANDBETWEEN(50, 100).
See below screenshots:
Random numbers between 0 and 1 =RAND()
Random numbers between 0 and 100 =RAND()*100
Random integer numbers between 50 and 100 =RANDBETWEEN(50, 100)
Insert random numbers between two numbers with specified decimal places by VBA
Below VBA can help you insert any random integer numbers or random numbers with given decimal places into a specified range in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module window.
Public Function RandomNumbers(Num1 As Long, Num2 As Long, Optional Decimals As Integer)
If IsMissing(Decimals) Or Decimals = 0 Then
RandomNumbers = Int((Num2 + 1 - Num1) * Rnd + Num1)
RandomNumbers = Round((Num2 - Num1) * Rnd + Num1, Decimals)
3. Save and close the code, then in a blank cell, input this formula =RandomNumbers(X,Y,Z), X indicates the lower limit of the numbers, Y indicates the higher limit of the numbers, and Z is the specified decimal places of random numbers.
For example, I want to generate some whole numbers between 50 and 1000, I can insert this formula =randomnumbers (50,1000,0); and insert random numbers between 50 and 100 with 2 decimal places with this formula =randomnumbers (50,100,2). See below screenshots:
Insert Random numbers without decimal places:
Insert Random numbers with 2 decimal places:
Insert random whole numbers / dates / time without duplicates by Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel's Insert Random Data makes it possible to insert random integral numbers between two numbers without duplicates into selected range in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select the range you want to insert random integer numbers, and click Kutools > Insert > Insert Random Data, see screenshot:
2. In the Insert Random Data dialog box, (1) click Integer tab, (2) In the From and To boxes type the number range you will generate random whole numbers between, (3) check the Unique Values option, (4) and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
This fantastic Insert Random Data feature also supports to insert random dates without repeats, random time without duplicates, random characters, and random data from certain custom list without repeats as well.
Insert random dates (excluding weekends) without repeats by Kutools for Excel
Insert random time data without repeats by Kutools for Excel
Insert random characters with specified string length by Kutools for Excel
Insert random data from certain custom list without repeats by Kutools for Excel
Demo: insert random (integer) numbers between two numbers without repeats in Excel
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy tools for Excel, free to try without limitation in 30 days. Download and Free Trial Now!
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
5. Try to accomplish the following with your prior knowledge of basic Excel programming.  5.1 Let’s say you’re interested in studying student attitudes toward climate change. If you wanted to randomly sample 50 students out of 643 at a local school, you would need to begin by creating a numbered list of all 643 students (student =1; student =2, student =3 and so forth). Then all you would need to do is to generate a set of random numbers with a range from 1 to 643. Use Excel to accomplish this task. Arrange your list from smallest to largest number.
5.2 Although people sometimes confuse random assignment with random sampling, the two are really quite different. With random sampling, the goal is to choose a representative set of cases from the full population under consideration. With random assignment, the goal is usually to give all participants and equal chance of being assigned to each experimental condition (regardless of how representative the participants are).