How to select cells randomly in Excel?
Supposing you have a column of values (A1: A15) in a worksheet, and now you need to select 5 random cells of them, how could you deal with this? In this article, I will show you some tricks to select cells randomly in Excel.
Select Range Randomly(Sort Range Randomly can quickly select or sort data randomly in a range/column/row.)
As the following screenshot shows, you have a range of data from A1 to A15, the Rand and Index formula can help you display the random cells in a new column. Please do as follows:
1. In the adjacent cell such as B1, enter the formula =RAND(), and press the Enter key, then copy the formula to the cell B15. And the random values will be filled with the cells. See screenshot:
2. Then in the next cell over, in this case cell C1, enter the formula =INDEX($A$1:$A$15,RANK(B1,$B$1:$B$15)).
3. Then press Enter key, and select the cell C1, drag the fill handle to cover as many cells as desired selections. And random 5 cells of range A1:A15 have been displayed in the column C. See screenshot:
The following VBA code also can help you to display random cells that you need.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following function into the Module:
Function RandomSelection(aRng As Range) 'Update20131113 Dim index As Integer Randomize index = Int(aRng.Count * Rnd + 1) RandomSelection = aRng.Cells(index).Value End Function
2. Then close the module window, and enter this function =RandomSelection($A$1:$A$15) in the cell B1. See screenshot:
3. Press Enter key, and a random value of A1:A15 has been displayed in column B. And then drag the fill handle to cover as many cells as desired selections.
The above two methods can display the random cell values in a new column, and they are only applied for a single column range, not work for a range of cells. Kutools for Excel's Sort Range Randomly tool can help you select cells randomly in an original range conveniently.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy Excel functions, enhance your working efficiency and save your working time.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. Select the range that you want to use.
2. Apply the utility by clicking Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly, see screenshot:
3. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, click Select button, and enter the number of the cells that you want to select, then check the Select Type you need. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK or Apply, and random 10 cells have been selected in the original range. See screenshot:
If you want to select random rows or columns, Sort Range Randomly utility also can help you.
Select random 2 rows from the selected range
Select random 2 columns from selected range
Advanced to select random cells, Sort Range Randomly of Kutools for Excel can sort data randomly in whole range, in each rows, in each columns and so on.
|Kutools for Excel: 200 + functions you must have in Excel, 60-day free trial from here|
Insert Random Data （insert random integer, date, time, string or custom list in a range.）
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoVery useful, but the format of the cells has been changed and also its showing few duplicate values. Please tell me how to get it solved.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi I am looking to build a grid with names on the left and dates (weeks) across the top. I then need to have a function that fills in random X's on particular weeks for all names. Is this possible
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis one is just awesome! Exactly what I needed! Thanks!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow to select perecent of cells randomly and replace by a specific number?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThanks. Was a great and quick help.