How to remove alpha characters from cells in Excel?
Supposing you need to remove all alpha characters from a range in Excel, for example one data in a cell may be “lucase 13654698745”, and you want it to be “13654698745”, how can you quickly remove all alpha characters from cells? Are there any good ideas to deal with this problem?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
It is difficult to remove alpha characters by using function in Excel, so you can use VBA code to solve it. You can remove all alpha characters with VBA as following steps.
1. Click Developer>Visual Basic or press Alt+F11 to open a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code:
VBA: Remove alpha characters:
Sub RemoveAlphas() 'Updateby20131129 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) For Each Rng In WorkRng xOut = "" For i = 1 To Len(Rng.Value) xTemp = Mid(Rng.Value, i, 1) If xTemp Like "[a-z.]" Or xTemp Like "[A-Z.]" Then xStr = "" Else xStr = xTemp End If xOut = xOut & xStr Next i Rng.Value = xOut Next End Sub
3. Then click button to run the code. And a pop-up dialog is for you to select a range to work, see screenshot:
4. Click OK, and all the alpha characters have been removed.
Please apply this utility by clicking Kutools > Text Tools in Editing group > Delete Characters, see screenshot:
Step 1. Select the range you want work with.
Step 2. Click Kutools > Text Tools in Editing group > Delete Characters, and check Alpha in the pop-up Delete Characters dialog, see screenshot:
Step 3. Click Ok or Apply to remove all alpha in the range.
This utility also can delete numeric characters, non-numeric characters, non-printing characters and so on.
For more detailed information about Delete Character of Kutools for Excel, please visit: Delete Characters.