When we use excel, there are both positive and negative numbers in a worksheet. Supposing we need to change the positive numbers to negative and vice versa. Of course, we can change them manually, but if there are hundreds of numbers need to be changed, this method is not a good choice. Are there any quick tricks to solve this problem?
Reverse the sign of values in cells with Paste Special function
We can reverse the sign of values in cells with the Paste Special function in Excel, please do as follows:
1. Tap number -1 in a blank cell and copy it.
2. Select the range that you want to reverse the sign of values, right-click and choose Paste Special. See screenshot:
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click All options from Paste and Multiply option from Operation. See screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and all of the signs of the numbers in the range have been reversed.
5. Delete the number -1 as you need.
Reverse the sign of all numbers at once
Kutools for Excel’s Change Sign of Values utility can help you to change the positive numbers to negative and vice versa, it also can help you to reverse the sign of the values and fix trailing negative sign to normal. Click to download Kutools for Excel!
Also, we can use a VBA code to reverse the sign of values in cells. But we must know how to get the VBA to do the thing. We can do it as the following steps:
1. Select the range you want to reverse the sign of values in cells.
2. Click Developer > Visual Basic in Excel, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, or using the shortcut keys (Alt+F11) to active it. Then click Insert > Module, and then copy and paste the following VBA code:
Dim C As Range
For Each C In Selection
C.Value = -C.Value
3. Then click button to run the code. And the sign of numbers in the selected range have been reversed at once.
Reverse the sign of values in cells with Kutools for Excel quickly
We can reverse the sign of values quickly with Change Sign of Values feature of Kutools for Excel.
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range that you want to reverse the signs of the numbers.
2. Click Kutools > Content > Change Sign of Values…, see screenshot:
3. In the Change Sign of Values dialog box, check the Reverse the sign of all values, see screenshot:
4. And then click OK or Apply. All of the signs of the numbers have been reversed.
The Change Sign of Values of Kutools for Excel can also fix trailing negative signs, change all negative values to positive and change all positive values to negative. For more detailed information about Change Sign of Values, please visit Change Sign of Values feature description.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Yes. Yes it does. Enter "-1" in a cell. Copy that cell. Highlight all the values whose sign you wish to flip. Opt-Cmd-V opens paste special dialog box, choose multiply from the Operations section (I also find it beneficial to choose "values" in the Paste Section rather than "all" to preserve any formatting).
OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. I have been looking all over the place for a way to simply do this. I was trying to find a way to have Excel take the SUM of a group of numbers and make it negative so that it would automatically do all the rest of the math on the sheet correctly. If anyone else is looking to do something similar, using the information I just obtained from #JAVED KHAN, enter the following function (this is just an example, change the cell references to match the ranges you are needing to use)
=SUM(B2:H2) * -1
This will now take the sum of the range and automatically change the value to a negative number.