How to display or hide sheet tabs and Sheet Tab Bar in Excel?
By default, Microsoft Excel shows sheet tabs at the bottom of the worksheet, which is functioning for navigating between worksheets quickly. Sometimes, the Sheet tabs may disappear by accident in Excel; in contrast, you may want to hide some sheet tabs or the entire Sheet Tab bar for some reasons. There are some useful tips to quickly display or hide sheet tabs and Sheet Tab bar in Excel.
|Sheet Tab Bar:||One/ multiple sheet tabs:|
Hide one or multiple selected sheet tabs with Hide & Unhide feature
We can apply Excel’s Hide & Unhide feature to hide one or multiple selected sheet tabs easily.
1. Select one or multiple sheet tabs you will hide in the Sheet Tab bar.
(1) Holding the Shift key, you can select multiple adjacent sheet tabs with clicking the first sheet tab and the last one in the Sheet Tab bar;
(2) Holding the Ctrl key, you can select multiple nonadjacent sheet tabs with clicking each sheet tab in the Sheet Tab bar one by one.
2. Click Home > Format > Hide & Unhide > Hide Sheet. See screenshot:
And then you will see all selected sheet tabs are hidden from the Sheet Tab bar.
Display one hidden sheet tab with Hide & Unhide feature
1. Click Home > Format > Hide & Unhide > Unhide Sheet.
2. In the opening Unhide dialog box, select the sheet tab which you want to display in the Sheet Tab bar, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Note: This method can only display one hidden sheet tab at a time. For batch displaying all hidden sheet tabs with only one click, please click here.
If you have Kutools for Excel’s installed, you can apply its Hide Unselected Sheets utility to hide all sheet tabs from the Sheet Tab bar except the active/select one, or apply the Unhide All Sheets utility to display all hidden sheet tabs with only one click.Hide all sheet tabs except active/selected one with only one click
Just click Kutools > Show / Hide > Hide Unselected Sheets. And then all sheet tabs are hidden except the active one.
Note: For hiding all sheet tabs except selected ones, please select these sheet tabs you will not hide in the Sheet Tab bar, and then click Kutools > Show / Hide > Hide Unselected Sheets.
Display all hidden sheet tabs with only one click
Just click Kutools > Show / Hide > Unhide All Sheets to batch display all hidden sheet tabs at once. See screenshot:
We can display or hide the entire Sheet Tab Bar to display/hide all sheet tabs by Excel's Options. Please do as follows:
1. Click the File > Options (or > Excel Options) to open the Excel Options dialog box.
2. In the Excel Options dialog box, please do as follows:
(1) Click the Advanced in left bar;
(2) Check or uncheck the Show sheet tabs option in the Display options for this workbook section;
3. Click the OK button.
All of the worksheet tabs will be displayed or hidden.
The following two simple VBA codes also can help you to hide or show the sheet tabs.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, and a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will display, click Insert > Module, and then input the following codes in the module.
VBA code to hide Sheet Tab Bar:
Sub Macro() ActiveWindow.DisplayWorkbookTabs = False End Sub
VBA code to show Sheet Tab Bar:
Sub Macro() ActiveWindow.DisplayWorkbookTabs = True End Sub
2. Then click Run button to run the code. You will get the result as you want.
Also with Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its View Options utility to quickly display or hide the entire Sheet Tab Bar easily in Excel.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Click Kutools > Show / Hide > View Options.
2. In the View Options dialog box, check or uncheck the Sheet Tabs option to show or hide sheet tabs in Microsoft Excel window.
The View Options of Kutools for Excel makes it possible to show or hide most of Microsoft Excel settings quickly, such as Inner Tabs, Formula Bar, Status Bar, Windows in Taskbar, Gridlines, Page Breaks, Display Zeros, Vertical Scrollbar, Horizontal Scrollbar, Sheet Tab, … etc. It will save your time in looking for these setting when you need to show or hide them. Click to know more…
- Show or hide formula bar
- Display or hide row & column headers
- Display Selection Pane
- Display or hide status bar
- Show or hide Horizontal/Vertical scroll bar
- Show or hide gridlines
- Hide page breaks
- Display or hide zero values in cells of Microsoft Excel
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 months agoNice Article, helped me UNHIDE the sheet tab bar. Thanks.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agothnk you very much Because very helpful information
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThank you so much. :-)
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi sir,I want to know many times I am noticing my cashiers are using excel to maintain the record of expenses n petty cash etc.I have noticed so many times when I open rxcell sheet there are so many no. Of sheets are open by serial wise one to ten.but many times I noticed one digit is missing like 1 to 10. Sometimes 7 no.worksheet excel page was missing.may be they hide ot or locked it.how can I open that hiding excell page without asking anything without noticing my staff or cadhiers.there is a folder on home page on which I read a name my documents or necessary things tu when I am trying to open that same thing appears everytime export data n import data n nothing else is shown there.Please suggest me by which way I can check that.thanks.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI'd looked up the Options on my own - but was not observant and did not see the Display - Hidden tabs option ...duh! Thank you for posting this and helping people like me!