How to multiply a range of cells by same number in Excel?
Supposing you have a range of numbers, and now you want to multiply them by a number 8.7, do you have any effective and quick methods to deal with this task?
In general, we need to get the latest exchange rate between the two specified currencies, and then multiply the latest exchange rate to convert the original currency to the given currency. But, with Kutools for Excel's Currencies Conversion utility, it can automatically multiplying the latest exchange rate for easily batch converting currencies in Excel. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
Excel provides a quick way to apply a mathematical operation on a range of cells. You can use the Paste Special function to multiply a range of cells by a number as follows:
1. Input the number 8.7 into a blank cell and copy it.
2. Select the range that you want to multiply a value, and click Home > Paste > Paste Special. See screenshot below:
3. In the Paste Special dialog box, click All option in the Paste section, and click Multiply option in the Operation section, and click the OK button. See screenshot above:
And the selected range will be multiplied by the number 8.7.
Apart from the Paste Special feature, we can also apply a formula to Multiply a range of cells with the same number in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select a blank cell, says Cell E1, and type the formula =A1*$D$1 (A1 is the first cell of the range you will multiply with the same number, D1 is the cell with the specified number you will multiply with) into it, and press the Enter key.
2. Drag Cell E1's AutoFill handle right to Cell G1, and then drag down to the Cell G8. See screenshot above.
And now each cell in the specified range (A1:C8 in our case) are multiplied by 8.7 at once.
Operations Tools of Kutools for Excel can quickly apply various kinds of mathematical operations to a range of cells without using a formula. You can use it to multiply a range of cells by a number as follows.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the range that you want to multiply a value, and click Kutools > More > Operation, see screenshot:
2. In the Operation Tools dialog box, choose Multiplication from Operation box, and enter the number 8.7 into the Operand box, and click the Ok button. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to create formulas as well, you can check Create formulas option. If the selected cells include formulas, and you don’t want to multiply the calculated results of formulas, please check Skip formula cells option. See screenshot:
If you want to know more about this feature, please visit this Operation Tools
For example you have a time of 2:23:42, you can convert this time to hours by multiplying 24 (or multiplying 1440 to minutes, multiplying 86400 to seconds; in other words, we can apply the formula =F2*24 for converting the time to hours, =F2*1440 to minutes, =F2*86400 to seconds), and then change the formula cell to Number format. But, with Kutools for Excel’s Convert Time utility, you can one click to batch convert multiple time data to hours/minutes/seconds only in Excel. See screenshot:
- Change values in a cell range
- Add values to multiple cells
- Divide a range of cells by a number
- Do exponential calculation to a range of cells
- Round a range of cells
- Subtract a number from a range of cells in excel
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...