How to replace accented characters with regular characters in Excel?
Have you received some reports with accented characters in Microsoft Excel? It looks tedious to go through the whole workbook, and replace accented characters to regular ones manually, such as "û" to "u". And this article will introduce some tricky things to quickly replace accented characters with regular characters in Excel.
For users who are experienced with Microsoft Excel, using VBA macro is an easy way to deal with this complicated work.
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
Function StripAccent(thestring As String) Dim A As String * 1 Dim B As String * 1 Dim i As Integer Const AccChars= "ŠŽšžŸÀÁÂÃÄÅÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖÙÚÛÜÝàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõöùúûüýÿ" Const RegChars= "SZszYAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOUUUUYaaaaaaceeeeiiiidnooooouuuuyy" For i = 1 To Len(AccChars) A = Mid(AccChars, i, 1) B = Mid(RegChars, i, 1) thestring = Replace(thestring, A, B) Next StripAccent = thestring End Function
3. Then go to a blank cell and paste the formula in a cell: =CheckStringCHAR(InString), for example =CheckStringCHAR("ù"), or =CheckStringCHAR(A2).
(1) Your Microsoft Visual Basic may not recognize accented characters at all, if it does not support Unicode. For example, when you paste the "š" in the Visual Basic, you may get "?". If so, this macro is not available.
(2) It does not replace accented characters in the strings of selected cell directly.
It requires too much skills and knowledge to use VBA macro. And the following method will help you work easier with only some clicks. Kutools for Excel's Replace Accented Characters tool makes it possible for you to replace all kinds of accented characters with regular characters easily at once.
1. Select the range in which you will replace all accented characters.
2. Click Kutools > Text > Replace Accented Characters…, see screenshot:
3. In Replace Accented Characters dialog box, click the Select all button to select all replace rules, and click the Ok button to replace all accented characters. see screenshot:
(1) If there are not some specific accented characters you want, you can click the Add rule button to add your own rules into the list box in above Replace Accented Characters dialog.
(2) You can customize new replacing rules in the Replace Accented Characters dialog box.
Now you will have all accented characters in strings of selected range converted to regular characters immediately. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!