How to flip / reverse a column of data order vertically in Excel?
Sometimes, you may want to flip a column of data order in Excel. It seems quite hard to reverse the data order manually, especially for a lot of data in the column. This article will guide you to flip or reverse a column data order vertically quickly.
Supposing you need to flip the column of data in Microsoft Excel as shown in the following screenshot:
Using Sort command can help you flip a column of data in Excel with following steps:
1. Insert a series of sequence numbers besides the column. In this case, in insert 1, 2, 3…, 7 in Column B, then select B2:B12, see screenshot:
2. Click the Data > Sort Z to A, see screenshot:
3. In the Sort Warning dialog box, check the Expand the selection option, and click the Sort button.
4. Then you will see the number order of Column A is flipped. And you can delete or hide the Column B according to your needs. See the following screenshot:
This method is also applied to reversing multiple columns of data order.
If you know how to use a VBA code in Excel, you may flip / reverse data order vertically as follows:
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA: Flip / reverse a range data order vertically in Excel.
Sub FlipColumns() 'Updateby20131126 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim Arr As Variant Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Arr = WorkRng.Formula For j = 1 To UBound(Arr, 2) k = UBound(Arr, 1) For i = 1 To UBound(Arr, 1) / 2 xTemp = Arr(i, j) Arr(i, j) = Arr(k, j) Arr(k, j) = xTemp k = k - 1 Next Next WorkRng.Formula = Arr End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run this macro, a dialog is popped up for you to select a range to flip vertically, see screenshot:
4. Click OK in the dialog, the range is flipped vertically, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can reverse the numbers order of columns with Flip Vertical Range tool quickly.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the column of data that you want to flip.
2. Click Kutools > Range > Flip Vertical Range, then select the option you need. See screenshot:
3. Then the data in the column has been flipped vertically. See screenshot:
If you select All that means flip the values with the cell format, and if you select Only flip values that means just flip cell values without cell format.
Click Flip Vertical Range to know more about this feature.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agohi thank u ,it was very useful
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoJust simply i m try to flip my data how m doing????
Ex. i m try to vikas dixit to dixit vikas it's possible or not.????
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoAwesome, thanks! Easy.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThanks that did it but I lost my conditional formatting. Is that normal?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoIn the next column enter numbers 1 thru 7 (one per row), select both columns and sort descending by the second column