How to flip / reverse a column of data order vertically in Excel?
Sometimes, you may want to flip a column of data order vertically in Excel as the left screenshot shown. It seems quite hard to reverse the data order manually, especially for a lot of data in the column. This article will guide you to flip or reverse a column data order vertically quickly.
Using Sort command can help you flip a column of data in Excel with following steps:
1. Insert a series of sequence numbers besides the column. In this case, in insert 1, 2, 3…, 7 in Column B, then select B2:B12, see screenshot:
2. Click the Data > Sort Z to A, see screenshot:
3. In the Sort Warning dialog box, check the Expand the selection option, and click the Sort button.
4. Then you will see the number order of Column A is flipped. And you can delete or hide the Column B according to your needs. See the following screenshot:
This method is also applied to reversing multiple columns of data order.
If you know how to use a VBA code in Excel, you may flip / reverse data order vertically as follows:
1. Hold down the Alt + F11 keys in Excel, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA: Flip / reverse a range data order vertically in Excel.
Sub FlipColumns() 'Updateby20131126 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim Arr As Variant Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Arr = WorkRng.Formula For j = 1 To UBound(Arr, 2) k = UBound(Arr, 1) For i = 1 To UBound(Arr, 1) / 2 xTemp = Arr(i, j) Arr(i, j) = Arr(k, j) Arr(k, j) = xTemp k = k - 1 Next Next WorkRng.Formula = Arr End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run this macro, a dialog is popped up for you to select a range to flip vertically, see screenshot:
4. Click OK in the dialog, the range is flipped vertically, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can reverse the numbers order of columns with Flip Vertical Range tool quickly.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
1. Select the column of date you will flip vertically, then click Kutools > Range > Flip Vertical Range > All / Only flip values. See screenshot:
Note: If you want to flip vaues along with cell formatting, plesae select the All option. For only flipping values, please select the Only flip values option.
Then the selected data in the column has been flipped vertically. See screenshot:
Tip: If you also need to flip data horizontally in Excel. Please try the Flip Horizontal Range utility of Kutools for Excel. You just need to select two ranges firstly, and then apply the utility to acheive it as below screenshot shown.
Then the selected ranges are flipped horizontally immediately.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoBasically I need the same as above but the amount of fields vertically can change from 1 to 12. Then, for example 3 fields, I would need number 3 to be at the top... If 11 then 11 at the top. It's random everytime between 1&12 though. Any ideas? As trying INDEX but to no avail :(
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWhy .. why in the hell do people and not just you ... have to prove how to reinvent the wheel and show how to do things that don't need to be done .
How to flip / reverse a column of data order vertically in Excel? All you have to do is tell people to hi - light the data and go push the a/z button and it's done . Yeah I don't know what I am doing .. excel is shit because it's hard to use ... but this was so easy and you make so hard . You're not and educator . Duncan Adams
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThat's actually not true. The A/Z button SORTS it (usually from low to high or form a to z), but it doesnt FLIP it. Yes, it does flip when it's ordered from a to z or from low to high, but what if it's not? So yes, this is useful. Please think before you speak Duncan.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi, Thanks a lot, it is really so simple using using Data - Sort
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agohi thank u ,it was very useful
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoJust simply i m try to flip my data how m doing????
Ex. i m try to vikas dixit to dixit vikas it's possible or not.????