How to apply formula when a checkbox is checked in Excel?
In some cases, you may need to apply some formulas based on the checked checkboxes. For example, as shown in the gif below, there is a project tracking table where a checkbox is checked to indicate that the corresponding project has been completed, at the same time, you need to use formulas to count the number of completed projects and the percentage of project completion dynamically. This tutorial will demonstrate how to accomplish this job.
Please do as follows to apply formulas dynamically when certain checkboxes are checked in Excel.
1. Firstly, insert the checkboxes you need. Here we insert the ActiveX Control checkboxes. Click Developer > Insert > Check Box (ActiveX Control), then draw a checkbox.
2. Then, select the cell contains the checkbox and drag the fill handle down to fill the checkbox to other cells, you will get a list of checkboxes. And then, right click the first checkbox and select Properties in the right-click menu.
3. In the opening Properties pane, enter a cell reference into the LinkedCell field to link the checkbox to a specific cell, then close the pane.
4. Repeat the above step 2 and 3 to assign cell references to the LinkedCell fields for all checkboxes. Then you will see the linked cells are displayed as follows.
5. To mark the projects completed with the corresponding checkboxes checked, in this example, you need to select the cell E3, enter the following formula into it and press the Enter key. Select this result cell, then drag its AutoFill Handle down until it reaches the end of the table.
6. Click Developer > Design Mode to turn off the worksheet’s design mode.
When you check a checkbox, the corresponding project will be marked as complete and the linked cell will appear as TRUE. See screenshot:
7. Now you need to create formulas to perform dynamic calculations when the checkbox is checked.
To count the number of completed projects, enter the following formula in a cell such as B14 in this case.
To calculate the percentage of project completion, please enter the following formula into a cell such as B15 and press Enter key.
From now on, when you check any checkbox in the project table, the formula will be calculated automatically as shown in the gif below.