How to count cells in a range in Excel?
In Excel, we always deal with cells and ranges. You might already know how to count blank cells, non-blank cells, or cells that contain numbers in a range, but do you know how to count the total number of cells in a range? Please read on to find out how.
Count cells in a range with a formula
Here we’ll multiply two functions - ROWS and COLUMNS - to count total number of cells in a range. The ROWS function is used to provide the number of rows in a given range. And the COLUMNS function returns the total number of columns. By multiplying the result of these two functions we’ll get the numbers of cells in a range.
Note: In the above formula, B3:D9 is the range for which you want to count its total number of cells.
Count cells in a range with VBA
If you don’t want to use a formula to get the total number of cells in a cell, but have the total cells shown in a message box, you can use the VBA macro by following the steps below:
1. In Excel, select the range that you will count its total cells.
2. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module. Then copy and paste the following VBA code to the Module window.
VBA code: Count cells in a range
'Update by ExtendOffice
Dim xRg As Range
Set xRg = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection
MsgBox "There are " & xRg.Cells.Count & " cells in the selected range.", , "Kutools for Excel"
4. Press F5 to run the VBA code. A dialog box as shown below will then pop up telling you how many cells there are in the selected range. Click OK to close the dialog.
Note: You can now select another range and press F5 to get the number of cells in the other range.
Excel COLUMN Function
The COLUMN function returns the number of column which formula appears or returns the column number of given reference. For example, formula =COLUMN(BD) returns 56.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!