Count Non-blank Cells in Excel - Step by Step Tutorial
This tutorial shows four methods of counting non-blank cells in excel. All the methods are super easy to follow and take no more than 10 seconds to get the result.
Count non-blank cells with Excel Status bar
Excel Status bar is a thin bar at the bottom of the Excel window. It is useful when counting the non-empty cells in Excel.
Just select the range you need to calculate the non-blank cells, then check the Count option on the Status bar. Then you can see the number of non-empty cells.
Note: If there is only one filled cell in the selected range, the Count option will not work.
Count non-blank cells with COUNTA function
With the COUNTA function, you can easily count the number of cells in a range that are not empty.
Step 1: Input COUNTA formula
Step 2: Press Enter key to return the result
Note: In the formula above, D2:D11 stands for the data range in which you want to count the non-blank cells.
Count non-blank cells with Find and Replace tool
Using Find and Replace tool is also a good way to calculate the number of cells that are not empty. In addition, you can get all values and their cell addresses displayed in one window, and easily navigate to any item by clicking it in the list.
Step 1: Choose the data range D2:D11
Step 2: Use the Find and Replace tool to return the result
- Press the Ctrl + F short key (or click Find & Select > Find in the Editing group under the Home tab), then the Find and Replace dialog box pops up.
- Enter the asterisk symbol ( * ) in the Find what field.
- Click the Find All button.
After that, you will see the number of non-blank cells on the pane, which shows “6 cell(s) found”.
How to count / sum only positive or negative numbers in Excel?
Normally, it is easy for us to sum or count a range of data in a worksheet, but here, I want to count or sum positive or negative numbers only. Are there any effective ways for solving this problem?
How to count / sum cells based on filter with criteria in Excel?
Actually, in Excel, we can quickly count and sum the cells with COUNTA and SUM function in a normal data range, but these function will not work correctly in filtered situation. To count or sum cells based on filter or filter with criteria, this article may do you a favor.
How to count all cells with value/data in a range in Excel?
Sometimes you may type data into cells randomly in a range in Excel, and you want to count the total number of cells with value/data. How to get it done easily? This article will introduce several methods for you.
How to count and remove duplicates from a list in Excel?
Removing duplicates from a list may be usually used in our Excel work, but in some cases, we need to count the number of duplicates then remove them. Here I will tell you some tricks can satisfy your need.
More tutorial for drop down list...
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office / Excel 2007-2021 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features 30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!