How to find unique/duplicate values between two columns in excel?
For example, I have two columns of different length filled with student names, and now I want to compare these two columns to select all values in column A but not in column B, and select all values in column B but not in column A. That means selecting unique values between two columns. If I compare them cell by cell, it will be very time-consuming. Are there any good ideas to find out all unique values between two columns in Excel quickly?
- Find unique/duplicate values between two columns with formula
- Find and count unique /duplicate values between two columns with formula of Kutools for Excel
- Find unique/duplicate values between two columns with Kutools for Excel
The following formula can also help you to find the unique values, please do as this:
In a blank cell B2, enter this formula =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A2,$C$2:$C$13,1,FALSE)),"Yes",""), and then drag this cell's AutoFill Handle to the cell B15.
If the unique values stay only in Column A but not in Column C, it will be displayed Yes in column B; while if return nothing in Column B, it means corresponding value stays in both Column A and Column C. See screenshot:
(1) In the above formula, A2 is the column which you want to be compared. And the $C$2:$C$13 is the range that you want compared with.
(2) If you want to list the unique values only in Column C but not in Column A, you can apply this formula: =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(C2,$A$2:$A$15,1,FALSE)),"Yes","").
Actually, the Kutools for Excel also provides a similar Count times a word appears formula to check and count the unique values between two columns in Excel. Please do as follows:
1. Select a blank cell beside the the first column, in our case we select the Cell B2, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Count times a word appears. See screenshot:
2. In the opening Formula Helper dialog box, please specify the absolute address of the second column ( $C$2:$C$13 in our case) into the Text box, select the first item of the first column (A2 in our case) into the Word box, and click the OK button.
3. And then drag this cell's AutoFill Handle to the range as you need.
And then each item's occurrence in the Column C has been counted out. 0 means corresponding item is unique between two columns. While other numbers, such as 1 means corresponding value exists in the Column C and appears once in the Columns C. See left screenshot:
Actually, Kutools for Excel develops a Select Same & Different Cells utility to help Excel users to compare two lists and find/count/highlight the same values or unique values between them easily. Please do as follows:
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells.
2. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, Please do as follows:
(1) Specify the first column whose values you will check if unique into the Find Values in box;
(2) Specify the second column you will check values based on into the According to box;
(3) In the Based on section, please check the Each row option;
(4) In the Find section, please check the Different Values option;
(5) It's optional to check the Fill backcolor option and specify a fill color from below drop down list;
(6) Click the Ok button.
Note: (1) If two columns have the same header, please check the My data has headers option; (2) For finding out duplicate values between two column, please check the Same Values option.
3. And then all unique values (or duplicate values) in the first column have been selected and filled with specified color, and a dialog box shows how many cells have been selected. See screenshot:
If you want to select the values in column C but not in Column A, you just need to swap the scope of Range A and Range B.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!