How to find duplicate values in two columns in Excel?
When we use a worksheet, sometimes we need to compare two columns and find the same values. For example, I have two long columns of student names, and now, I want to compare them and find out the same names. If I compare them cell by cell, it will be tiresome and waste a lot of time. Are there any quick ways to finish this task?
Look at the following screenshot, I have column A (A2:A15) and column C (C2:C13) which contain some duplicate names.
By using a formula, we can compare two columns and display the duplicate values. Please do with the following steps:
1. In cell B2, input this formula: =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,$C$2:$C$13,0)),"",A2).
Note: In the above formula: A2 is the column which you want to be compared. $C$2:$C$13 is the range that you want to be compared with. You can change the variables for what you are using.
2. Press the Enter key. Select cell B2, and then drag the fill handle over cell B15. And all of the duplicate names will be displayed in column B. See screenshot:
The following VBA code can also help you to find out the duplicate values between two columns.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
VBA code: find duplicates from two columns
Sub Compare() Dim Range1 As Range, Range2 As Range, Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range, outRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Range1 = Application.Selection Set Range1 = Application.InputBox("Range1 :", xTitleId, Range1.Address, Type:=8) Set Range2 = Application.InputBox("Range2:", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each Rng1 In Range1 xValue = Rng1.Value For Each Rng2 In Range2 If xValue = Rng2.Value Then If outRng Is Nothing Then Set outRng = Rng1 Else Set outRng = Application.Union(outRng, Rng1) End If End If Next Next outRng.Select Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
2. Click button to execute the code, in the popped out box select Range 1 that you want to compare.
3. Click OK and go on selecting Range 2 that you will be compared with.
4. Then click OK, and the duplicate values both in column A and column C have been selected in column A.
Note: If you want to select the duplicates from column C, you just need to swap the two selected columns.
With the help of Kutools for Excel, you can find the duplicate values quickly and comfortably.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells.
1. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Click the first button to select the source column to be compared, then click the second button to select the column you are compared with;
(2.) Choose Each row under the Based on section;
(3.) Then select Same Values fromt he Find section;
(4.) At last, you can choose one background or font color to highlight the same cells under the Processing of resuts section as you need.
2. Then click OK, and the same values both in column A and column B have been selected in column A.
With this utility, you can also find the different values between two columns.
- My data has headers: If the data you are compared has headers, you can check this option, and the headers will not be compared.
- Select entire rows: With this option, the entire rows which contain the same values will be selected.
- Case Sensitive: Checking this option, you will compare the columns with case sensitive.
- The two comparing ranges must contain the same number of columns.
- If you want to select the duplicates from column C, you just need to swap the two selected columns.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agogreat demo guys,keep rocking
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 months agoThank You Very Much Guys
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 8 months agothat was really great.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoits good...thnq u
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoHi. I have a question ... please help me.
We have two sheets. In one of theme, there are names and another one ,address. Some names do not have address. And the addresses and names are irregular. And only with the code We can link theme to each other. I want to do something that names and addresses sort by the code.
sorry for my ENGLISH
An example of sheets:
st ... 2020
st .. 2111
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoTaher... Send me your Email ID. I can help you. What i understand that you have 2 sheets. One has names and some Code for each name and the second one has Addresses and Codes. The Code is the only column which can connect these 2 sheets. And you want all the names and their corresponding addresses to be displayed based on Codes.
Please send the same question to my email id . I can send you the script and tell you the steps how it works.
- ← Previous
- Next →