How to find or select cells based on certain criteria in Excel?
Supposing you have a data range as following screenshot, and now you want to find or select cells based on certain criteria information in Excel, for example, I will find or select the cells which contain the numbers between 80 and 100. How could you quickly solve this task?
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel/Office
With Filter function of Excel, you can display the cell rows that you need and hide the unwanted rows. You can finish it with the following steps:
1. Highlight the column that you want to select the certain cells.
2. Click Data > Filter, see screenshot:
3. And a small triangle will display at the bottom right corner of the title, click the small triangle, and a menu will appear. Choose Number Filter > Custom Filter… See screenshot:
4. And a Custom AutoFilter dialog box will pop out. Then specify the criteria that you need as following screenshot:
5. Click OK. And all of the cells which fit to the criteria have been displayed, and the others have been hidden.
With this method, the other cells which don’t accord with the criteria will be hidden. But if you don’t want to hide the other cells, and format the cells based on criteria. How could you do?
Conditional Formatting utility can help you to find and format the cells which match your criteria in Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the data range that you want to use.
2. Click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, see screenshot:
3. In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, select Format only cells that contain option under Select a Rule Type, and then specify the criteria you need under Format the Rule Description, see screenshot:
4. Then click Format button, in the Format Cells dialog, click Fill tab, and select one color you like to shade your cells. See screenshot:
5. Click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and the cells between 80 and 100 have been highlighted at once.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Select the data range that you want and click Kutools > Select Tools > Select Specific Cells…, see screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, check Cell from Selection type, and set your criteria under Specific type as you need, see screenshot:
3. After setting the criteria, click OK or Apply button, a prompt message will remind you the number of the selected cells. And all of cells which accord with the criteria have been selected from the range.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
300 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow do you select the first five name with the highest points?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHow do you select the first three or four names with highest point in excel
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 years ago:lol: :P I is very useful to us