How to select the highest or lowest value in Excel?
Sometime you may need to find out and select the highest or lowest values in a spreadsheet or a selection, such as the highest sales amount, lowest price, etc. how do you deal with it? This article brings you some tricky tips to find out and select the highest values and lowest values in selections.
Find out the highest or lowest value in a selection with formulas
To get the largest or smallest number in a range:
Just enter the below formula into a blank cell you want to get the result:
Get the largest value: =Max (B2:F10)
Get the smallest value: =Min (B2:F10)
And then press Enter key to get the largest or smallest number in the range, see screenshot:
To get the largest 3 or smallest 3 numbers in a range:
Sometimes, you may want to find the largest or smallest 3 numbers from a worksheet, this section, I will introduce formulas for you to solve this problem, please do as follows:
Please enter below formula into a cell:
Get the largest 3 values: =LARGE(B2:F10,1)&", "&LARGE(B2:F10,2)&", "&LARGE(B2:F10,3)
Get the smallest 3 values: =SMALL(B2:F10,1)&", "&SMALL(B2:F10,2)&", "&SMALL(B2:F10,3)
- Tips: If you want to find the largest or smallest 5 numbers, you just need to use the & to join the LARGE or SMALL function like this:
- =LARGE(B2:F10,1)&", "&LARGE(B2:F10,2)&", "&LARGE(B2:F10,3)&","&LARGE(B2:F10,4) &","&LARGE(B2:F10,5)
Tips: Too difficult to remember these formulas, but if you have the Auto Text feature of Kutools for Excel, it helps you to save all formulas you need, and reuse them at anywhere anytime as you like. Click to download Kutools for Excel!
Select or highlight all cells with the largest or smallest values in a range of cells or each column and row
With Kutools for Excel's Select Cells with Max & Min Values feature, you can quickly select or highlight all of the largest or smallest values from a range of cells, each row or each column as you need. Please see the below demo. Click to download Kutools for Excel!
Find and highlight the highest or lowest value in a selection with Conditional Formatting
Normally, the Conditional Formatting feature also can help to find and select the largest or smallest n values from a range of cells, please do as this:
1. Click Home > Conditional Formatting > Top/Bottom Rules > Top 10 Items, see screenshot:
2. In the Top 10 Items dialog box, enter the number of largest values that you want to find, and then choose one format for them, and the largest n values have been highlighted, see screenshot:
- Tips: To find and highlight the lowest n values, you just need to Click Home > Conditional Formatting > Top/Bottom Rules > Bottom 10 Items.
Select all of the highest or lowest value in a selection with a powerful feature
The Kutools for Excel's Select Cells with Max & Min Value will help you not only find out the highest or lowest values, but also select all of them together in selections.
Tips:To apply this Select Cells with Max & Min Value feature, firstly, you should download the Kutools for Excel, and then apply the feature quickly and easily.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the range that you will work with, then click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Max & Min Value…, see screenshot:
3. In the Select Cells with Max & Min Value dialog box:
- (1.) Specify the type of cells to search (formulas, values, or both) in the Look in box;
- (2.) Then check the Maximum value or Minimum value as you need;
- (3.) And specify the scope that the largest or smallest based on, here, please choose Cell.
- (4.) And then if you want to select the first matching cell, just choose the First cell only option, to select all the matching cells, please choose All cells option.
4. And then click OK, it will select all highest values or lowest values in the selection, see the following screenshots:
Select all the smallest values
Select all the largest values
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now!
Select the highest or lowest value in each row or column with a powerful feature
If you want to find and select the highest or lowest value in each row or column, the Kutools for Excel also can do you a favor, please do as follows:
1. Select the data range that you want to select the largest or smallest value. Then click Kutools > Select > Select Cells with Max & Min Value to enable this feature.
2. In the Select Cells with Max & Min Value dialog box, set the following operations as you need:
4. Then click Ok button, all the largest or smallest value in each row or column are selected at once, see screenshots:
The largest value in each row
The largest value in each column
Download and free trial Kutools for Excel Now!
Demo: Select the highest or lowest values in a selection / each row and column with Kutools for Excel
More relative largest or smallest value articles:
- Find And Get The Nth Largest Value Without Duplicates In Excel
- In Excel worksheet, we can get the largest, the second largest or nth largest value by applying the Large function. But, if there are duplicate values in the list, this function will not skip the duplicates when extracting the nth largest value. In this case, how could you get the nth largest value without duplicates in Excel?
- Find The Nth Largest / Smallest Unique Value In Excel
- If you have a list of numbers which contains some duplicates, to get the nth largest or smallest value among these numbers, the normal Large and Small function will return the result including the duplicates. How could you return the nth largest or smallest value ignoring the duplicates in Excel?
- Highlight Largest / Lowest Value In Each Row Or Column
- If you have multiple columns and rows data, how could you highlight the largest or lowest value in each row or column? It will be tedious if you identify the values one by one in each row or column. In this case, the Conditional Formatting feature in Excel can do you a favor. Please read more to know the details.
- Sum Largest Or Smallest 3 Values In A List Of Excel
- It is common for us to add up a range of numbers by using the SUM function, but sometimes, we need to sum the largest or smallest 3, 10 or n numbers in a range, this may be a complicated task. Today I introduce you some formulas to solve this problem.
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!