How to convert date to weekday name or month name in Excel?
Says you enter a date in one cell, and it shows as 12/13/2015. Is there a way to show only the month or the weekday, or the text of month name or weekday name, such as December, or Sunday? The following methods can help you easily convert or format any kinds of date to display only the weekday name or month name in Excel.
Hide (not show) year, month, or day from a range of date cells by Kutools for Excel's Apply Date Formatting utility. The utility can show a series of dates as only month names, or day of weeks easily. And this utility also provides dozens of date formatting styles for Excel users to change dates. See screenshot:
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
We can customized the date formatting and display dates as weekday names or month names only easily in Excel.
1. Select the date cells that you will convert to weekday names or month names, right click and select the Format Cells from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the opening Format Cells dialog box, under Number tab click the Custom in the Category box, and then enter "ddd" into the Type box.
|No.||Formatting code||Display as||Example|
3. Click the OK button to apply the custom date formatting.
Microsoft Excel's Text function can help you to convert date to its corresponding month name or weekday name easily.
In a blank cell, please enter this formula =TEXT(A1,"mmmm"), in this case in cell C1. , and press the Enter key. And then drag this cell's AutoFill handle to the range as you need.
And the date have been converted to month name. See screenshot:
Note: You can change the "mmmm" to other format code according to above table. For example, you can also convert a date to the weekday name with the formula =TEXT(A1,"dddd") .
The Text function is easy to deal with a few date, and it will be time- consuming if many ones. Kutools for Excel's Apply Date Formatting tool can help you convert all date in selections to the month name or weekday name easily.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the range that you will work with, and click Kutools > Format > Apply Date Formatting, see screenshot above:
2. In the Apply Date formatting dialog box, please select the date formatting in the Date formatting box, and click the Ok button.
For example, you can select 03, Mar or March items in the Date formatting box to convert the dates to month names, or select Wed or Wednesday items in the Date formatting box to convert the dates to weekday names.
Note: The Apply Date Formatting tool does not change the actual value.
Normally the date will be inserted as “12/2/2015”, but we require to show the date as “Wednesday” or “Wed”. Kutools for Excel’s Insert Date can help us insert a date with specific date formatting by a double-click.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...