How to quickly apply formula to an entire column or row with/without dragging in Excel?
Sometimes you may need to apply one same formula to an entire column or row in Excel, such as C1=A1*2, C2=A2*2, …, Cn=An*2. It will be quite tedious if you enter the formula in each cell one by one. There are some tricky ways to apply one same formula to an enter column or row quickly.
Supposing you need to apply the formula of =(A1*3+8)/5 in the Column C, and see the following tutorials to apply the same formula to entire Column C.
Apply formula to an entire column or row with dragging AutoFill handle
Dragging the AutoFill handle is the most common way to apply the same formula to an entire column or row in Excel.
Firstly type the formula of =(A1*3+8)/5 in Cell C1, and then drag the AutoFill Handle down to the bottom in Column C.
Then the formula of =(A1*3+8)/5 is applied in the whole Column C. If you need to apply it to the entire row, you can drag the AutoFill Handle to the far right.
Note: This dragging AutoFill handle method requires formula calculation automatically. You can enable it with clicking Formulas > Calculation Options > Automatic. See below screenshot:
Sometimes, the column you want to apply the formula may covers hundreds of rows, and dragging Fill handle may be not convenient. Actually you and use shortcut keyboards to archive it easily in Excel.
Firstly, select the whole Column C, secondly enter the formula =(A1*3+8)/5, and then press the Ctrl + Enter keys together.
If you want apply the formula to an entire row, you can select the entire row first.
Actually there is a Fill command on Excel Ribbon to help you apply formula to an entire column or row quickly.
Firstly enter the formula =(A1*3+8)/5 into the Cell C1 (the first cell of column where you will enter the same formula), secondly select the entire Column C, and then click Home > Fill > Down. See left screenshot.
If you want to apply the formula to entire row, just enter the formula into the first cell of your entire row, next select the entire row, and then click Home > Fill > Right.
All of above methods are to apply formulas to blank column or row. Sometimes you may need to apply the same formula to an entire column or row with data. How to process? You can try the Kutools for Excel's Operation Tools.
Kutools for Excel - Combines More Than 120 Advanced Functions and Tools for Microsoft Excel
1. Select the column or row that you will work with (in this case select the Column A), and click Kutools > More > Operation. See left screenshot.
2. In the Operation Tools dialog box, select the Custom in Operation box, enter (?*3+8)/5 in the blank box in the Custom section, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
And then the whole column are filled with the formula of =(?*3+8)/5, and the ? refers to the value in corresponding cell. See below screenshots:
(1) If you check the Create formulas option, the results will be in the form of formulas for each cell.
(2) If the Skip formula cells option is checked, the operation will skip and automatically ignore the formula cells in the selected range.
The Operation Tools can perform common math operations in multiple cells together, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, etc.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...