How to sort data by custom list in Excel?
We can sort date in ascending order (from A to Z, form lowest to highest) or in descending order (from Z to A or form highest to lowest) in Excel easily. However, sometime you may want to sort data in a customizing order for some reasons, such as special name list, product name list, etc.
Supposing I have a sales table as the following screen shot shows. I do not want to sort the by the sales volumes, but sort the salespersons in a custom order as: Peter, Ann, Marsha, Jim, Cindy, John, and Joe. How can we sort data according to a custom list in Excel?
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Please process the following steps:
Step 1: Select the range that you will sort by custom list. In this case, select the range of A2:H8.
Step 2: Click the biggest Sort button in Sort & Filter group under Data tab.
You can also click the Custom Sort item from the drop down list of Sort & Filter button under Home tab.
Step 3: In the Sort dialog box, specify the Sort by columns in the Sort by box.
Step 4: In the Order box, select the Custom list from the drop down list. See the following screen shot.
Step 5: the Custom Lists dialog box pops up, select and highlight the requiring list from the custom lists box, and click OK.
Step 6: Now you get back to the Sort dialog box, click OK.
Then it sorts the select data by the custom list immediately.
Note: the custom list you apply for sorting must has been created before. Click to know How to create a new custom list?