How to insert drop down list in Excel?
Inserting drop-down list is a frequently-used operation while working in Microsoft Excel. This article will show you detailed steps for inserting a drop-down list in selected cells in Excel.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
1. Create a list of data that you want to use in the drop down list.
2. Select a range of cells you need to locate the drop down list.
3. Then click Data > Data Validation > Data Validation. See screenshot:
4. In the popping up Data Validation dialog box, you need to do as follows:
4.1 Select List from the Allow drop down list under the Settings tab.
4.2 Click the button to select the list of data you have created in step 1. Click the OK button to finish the setting.
Now the drop down list is creared and located in the cells you have selected in step 2. See screenshot:
Note: the drop-down arrow is visible only when the cell is active.
- How to quickly create dynamic drop down list in Excel?
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?
- How to autocomplete when typing in Excel drop down list?
- How to create drop down list with multiple selections or values in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list calendar in Excel?
Recommended Productivity Tools
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoPerfect! Simple screen shots made building the drop down easy.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoI was able to follow these steps and create a drop down list, however, when I save and exit, the next time I open the spreadsheet the drop down list is no longer there. How do I get it to save?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThat's good example.... :P
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHow do I create a drop downlist with a Description that is different than my returned value?
For Example: Description in List is - "ABG Interests"
But I only want to return - "ABG" to the Cell
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoAfter I have created my drop down box with a description of different types of equipment, can I have in another column (a rate for each piece of equipment) automatically generate. If so can you please let me know how to do this.