How to find and list all links (external references) in Excel?
In Excel, you reference the contents of cells in another workbook by creating an external reference. But when you want to list all the links of a workbook in Excel, it seems hard to find and list all the external references (links). The tricky way in this article will help you find out and list all links in workbook quickly.
Because external links contains bracket [ sign, we can find out the external links if we can get all bracket signs in the whole workbook.
1. Click Home > Find & Select > Find to open the Find and Replace dialog box. You can also open the Find and Replace dialog box with pressing Ctrl + F keys.
2. In the Find What: box, enter the left part of bracket sign "[".
3. Click Options, in the Within drop down list, choose Sheet or Workbook that you want to find the links from. See screenshot:
4. And then click Find All button. Then it lists all external references in the Find and Replace dialog box immediately. Press Ctrl + A to select all link cells as following screeshot shown:
The left part of bracket sign can find out the external links in the whole workbook. If you want to find out all kinds of links, including the internal links and external links, you can enter the exclamation sign "!" in the Find what: box.
The following VBA macro can help us list all linked source workbooks in a new worksheet of current workbook.
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys, and it opens the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following macro in the Module Window.
VBA: List all links in Excel.
Sub ListLinks() Dim xSheet As Worksheet Dim xRg As Range Dim xCell As Range Dim xCount As Long Dim xLinkArr() As String On Error Resume Next For Each xSheet In Worksheets Set xRg = xSheet.UsedRange.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas) If xRg Is Nothing Then GoTo LblNext For Each xCell In xRg If InStr(1, xCell.Formula, "[") > 0 Then xCount = xCount + 1 ReDim Preserve xLinkArr(1 To 2, 1 To xCount) xLinkArr(1, xCount) = xCell.Address(, , , True) xLinkArr(2, xCount) = "'" & xCell.Formula End If Next LblNext: Next If xCount > 0 Then Sheets.Add(Sheets(1)).Name = "Link Sheet" Range("A1").Resize(, 2).Value = Array("Location", "Reference") Range("A2").Resize(UBound(xLinkArr, 2), UBound(xLinkArr, 1)).Value = Application.Transpose(xLinkArr) Columns("A:B").AutoFit Else MsgBox "No links were found within the active workbook.", vbInformation, "KuTools for Excel" End If End Sub
3. Press the F5 key to run this macro. Then it creates a new worksheet named as Link Sheet and list all links location and linked source workbooks' names and saving paths in it at once. See screenshot:
With Kutools for Excel’s Find and Break broken Links, you can find all the external links of the active worksheet, at the same time, you can break the specific links as you need.
If you have installed Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Active the worksheet that you want to find the links, and click Kutools > Link > Find and Break Broken Links, see screenshot:
2. In the Find and Break broken Links dialog box, click Filter drop down list to choose All links, and all links in the active worksheet are listed, you can view the links status as well, OK stands for the link is valid, Error means the link is broken.
1. If the View cell option is checked, when you click on the link in the list. It will find and navigate to the specific cell which contains the link in the worksheet.
2. And if you want to break a link, you can select the link from the list, then click Break link.
If you want to know more about this feature, please click Find and Break broken Links.
Kutools for Excel includes more than 300 handy Excel tools. Free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download the free trial now!
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!