How to import and export categories in Outlook?
As you know, you can create many color categories in Outlook. In addition, you can also export all of your customized categories and share them with your colleagues, or import into new computer, etc. This article is arranged to walk you through exporting and importing categories in Microsoft Outlook.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by rules; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails at once; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Auto Add Date&Time into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Auto Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails, Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts...
- More than 100 advanced features will solve most of your problems in Outlook 2021 - 2010 or Office 365. Full features 60-day free trial.
All color categories, including defaulted categories and customized categories, can be exported from Microsoft Outlook. You can do it as following:
Step 1: Create a new note:
- In Outlook 2007, please click the File > New > Note.
- In Outlook 2010, please click the New Items > More Items > Note.
Step 2: In the new note dialog, type some text in it. In this case, we enter the text of Categories.
Step 3: Click the button at the upper-left corner in the Note window, and then click the Save & Close in Outlook 2010 (or the Close in Outlook 2007).
Step 4: Shift to the Note view with clicking the Note icon in the Navigation Pane.
Step 5: Click the note you created before, and then click the Categorize > All Categories in the Tags group on the Home tab in Outlook 2010.
In Outlook 2007, click the Categorize > All Categories in the Toolbar.
Step 6: In the Color Categories dialog box, check the color categories that you will export later, and then click the OK button.
Step 7: Drag and move the note into a folder of Windows to save it. This note will be saved as an .msg file.
Before you import color categories into your Microsoft Outlook, an .msg file of note with color categories is required.
Step 1: Shift to the Note view with clicking the Note in the Navigation Pane.
Step 2: Drag the .msg file of note with color categories into Microsoft Outlook.
Step 3: Shift to the Mail view with clicking the Mail in the Navigation Pane.
Step 3: Right click one email account name in the Navigation Pane, and select the Data File Properties in the right-clicking menu.
Step 4: In the Folder Properties dialog box, click the Upgrade to Color Categories button.
Step 5: A warning dialog box comes out, and just click the Yes button.
Then all color categories added in the .msg file of note are copied and imported into Microsoft Outlook.
Step 6: Click the OK button in the Folder Properties dialog box.
1. If your email account type is SMTP which does not support the Note, for example the Gmail, this trick is not available.
2. You can update the color categories only if the pasted note and your email folder belong to the same data file of pst or ost.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Outlook - Over 100 Powerful Features to Supercharge Your Outlook
📧 Email Automation: Out of Office (Available for POP and IMAP) / Schedule Send Emails / Auto CC/BCC by Rules When Sending Email / Auto Forward (Advanced Rules) / Auto Add Greeting / Automatically Split Multi-Recipient Emails into Individual Messages ...
Over 100 Features Await Your Exploration! Click Here to Discover More.