How to change the attachment size limitation in Outlook?
Sometimes, I can’t insert a big attachment successfully in Outlook, but get a warning dialog box saying the attachment size exceeds the allowable limit. See following screen shots. This error happens due to exceeding the size limitation of attachments in Outlook. In this article, I will guide you to change the attachment size limitation in Microsoft Outlook.
To change the attachment size limitation in Microsoft Outlook, you have to modify the parameter of MaximumAttachmentSize in the Registry Editor. And you can do it with following steps.
Step 1: Press the Win + R to open the Run dialog box, enter the regedit in the Open box, and click the OK button.
Step 2: In the coming User Account Control dialog box, click the Yes button.
Step 3: Now the Registry Editor window opens. Open the Preferences folder with following paths:
Outlook 2010: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Preferences
Outlook 2007: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences
Step 4: Click the Edit > New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name the new DWORD as MaximumAttachmentSize.
Step 5: Double click the new DWORD to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog box, check the Decimal option, enter the attachment size limitation in the Value data box, and click the OK button. See screen shot below:
For example, you want to change the attachment size limitation to 100MB, enter the 102400 in the Value data box.
Note: If you do not want to limit the attachment size in Outlook, just enter the 0 in the Value data box.
Step 6: Close the Registry Editor window, and restart Microsoft Outlook.
After changing the attachment size limitation in the Registry Editor window, attachments will be inserted successfully only if their sizes are less than attachment size limitation. See following screen shot:
With above method to increase attachment size is a little complex, but if you have Kutools for Outlook -- a handy Outlook addin, you can change the attachment limited size as you need as quickly.
|Kutools for Outlook, Includes 100 powerful features and tools for Microsoft Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010 and Office 365. |
Free install Kutools for Outlook, and then do as below steps:
1.Enable Outlook and click Kutools > Options. See screenshot:
2. In the Options dialog, click Other tab, and enter the limited size you want to change to into the textbox besides Maximum Attachment Size section. For instance, here I change the attachment size to 10MB (10240KB). See screenshot:
After Outlook restart, the attachments limited size has been changed.
1. If you want to change the attachment size to be unlimited, enter 0 into the Maximum Attachment Size textbox.
2. If you want to set the attachment size to default size, enter 1 into the Maximum Attachment Size textbox.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.