How to (auto) replace attachments with links in Outlook?
As you know, attachments in emails will make outlook data file huge and working slowly. Apart from compacting Outlook data file, removing attachments will also be a good way to reduce the size of Outlook data file. Therefore some users look forward ways to replace attachments with links. Here I introduce some ways to solve this problem in Outlook.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
This method will guide you to batch replace all attachments in active or selected emails with links easily by Kutools for Outlook’s Detach All Attachments utility.
1. Select the emails whose attachments you will replace with links in the mail list, and click the Kutools > Others > Detach All. See screen shot below:
2. A Detach All dialog box comes out to ask for your confirmation, please click the Yes button to continue.
3. If you apply this utility for the first time, it will pop up a Browse For Folder dialog box. Specify the destination folder that you will save these attachments into, and click the OK button.
Note: If you have applied this utility before, the attachments will be automatically saved into the folder you specified when running this utility for the first time. And you can get the saving folder address by clicking Kutools > Others > Detach.
Then all attachments in the selected emails are replaced with hyperlinks, and these attachments are moved into the specified folder. See screen shots below:
Note: By default the Kutools for Outlook’s Detach All (Attachments) utility ignore attachments of pictures. If you need to detach attachments of pictures, please click Kutools > Others > Options to open the Attachment Options dialog box, and then check the Handle image attachments option on the General tab. See screen shot below:
Sometimes, you may think it will be perfect to replace attachments with links for all incoming emails. Actually, Kutools for Outlook’s Auto Detach attachments utility supports this need.
1. Click the Kutools > Others > Options.
2. In the opening Attachment Options dialog box,
(1) Go to the Detach tab;
(2) Check the Auto detach all receiving attachments option.
(3) Click the Browse button behind the Save Folder box, and then specify a destination folder in the popping up Browse For Folder dialog box, and click the OK button. See screen shot above.
3. Click the OK button.
From now on, when you receive emails with attachments, Kutools for Outlook will replace these attachments with hyperlink automatically, and save them into the specified folder.
Note: By default the Kutools for Outlook’s Auto Detach (Attachments) utility and Detach All (Attachments) utility ignore attachments of pictures. If you need to detach attachments of pictures, please click Kutools > Others > Options to open the Attachment Options dialog box, and then check the Handle image attachments option on the General tab. See screen shot below: