How to count the total number of attachments in selected emails in Outlook?
I frequently receive emails with attachments which take up huge space in Microsoft Outlook. And now I want to count the total number of attachments for metrics and revising. Any good ideas? I find out two workarounds to solve this problem:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will introduce a VBA to count the total number of attachments in selected emails in Outlook. Please do as follows:
1. Select the emails whose attachments you will count, and press the Alt + F11 key simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and then paste below VBA code into the opening Module window.
VBA: Count the number of attachments in selected emails
Sub CountAttachmentsMulti() Dim oItem As Object Dim iAttachments As Integer For Each oItem In ActiveExplorer.Selection iAttachments = oItem.Attachments.Count + iAttachments Next MsgBox "Selected " & ActiveExplorer.Selection.Count & " messages with " & iAttachments & " attachements" End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run this VBA.
And now a dialog box comes out and displays how many attachments there are in the selected emails. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Outlook installed, you can easily apply the Detach All (Attachments) feature to export all attachments from multiple selected emails, and then count exported attachments easily. Please do as follows:
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. Select the emails whose attachments you will export and count, and click Kutools > Others > Detach All. See screenshot:
2. A dialog box will come out and ask for your reconfirmation about detaching attachments. Please click the Yes button to go ahead.
3. In the opening Browse For Folder dialog box, please specify a folder you will save the exported attachments into, and click the OK button.
And now all attachments in the selected emails are exported and saved into the destination folder.
4. Open the destination folder, and select all the attachments you exported just now, and you will get the number of exported attachments at the Status bar of opening folder. See screenshot:
Note: If one email contains more than one attachment, these attachments will be saved into one folder and named with this email’s subject.Click to download Kutools for Outlook, 60-day free tiral no limitation!
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.