How to search for an exact match to character strings/phrase in Outlook?
For example, we need to search for emails containing the phrase of Image with in a mail folder in Outlook. After typing the Image with in the Instant Search box, all emails containing the certain word image or with are found out as below screenshot shown. But what we need is to search for emails exactly matching to the phrase of Image with. Any idea? Two solutions for this problem:
- Search for an exact match to character strings (whole word only) in an email
- Search for an exact match to character strings/phrase in a mail folder
If you need to search for an exact match to character strings (whole word only) in an email in Outlook, please follow below steps:
1. Shift to the Mail view, and double click to open the email that you will search for an exact match to character strings (whole word only).
2. Click Message > Find. See screenshot:
3. In the opening Find and Replace dialog box, please click the More button to expand the search options. See screenshot:
4. Now in the Find and Replace dialog box, please:
(1) Check the Find whole words only option in the Search Options section;
(2) Type the word you will search for in the Find what box (Note: If blank spaces exist in the specified character string you typed in the Find what box, the Find whole words only option will be invalid.)
(3) Click the Reading Highlight > Highlight All to highlight all found words exactly matching to the specified word in the opening email. See screenshot:
5. Close the Find and Replace dialog box.
This method will walk you through configuring the advanced find option to search for emails exactly matching to characters strings or phrase in a mail folder in Outlook.
1. Shift to the Mail view, open the specified mail folder where you will search for emails, and place the cursor in the Instant Search box to activate the Search Tools. See screenshot:
2. Click Search > Search Tools > Advanced Find to open the Advanced Find dialog box. See screenshot above:
Note: You can also open the Advanced Find dialog box with pressing Ctrl + Shift + F keys at the same time.
3. In the Advanced Find dialog box, please go to the Advanced tab, and then define the search criteria:
(1) Click Field > All Mail fields > Subject;
(2) Please select the phrase matches from the Condition drop down list;
(3) Type the specified phrase in the Value box. In our case, we type images with in the Value box;
(4) Click the Add to List button.
And now the defined search criteria is added to the Find items that match these criteria box.
4. Click the Find now button.
And now all emails whose subjects contain the whole phrase of images with are found out and listed at the bottom of Advanced Find dialog box. See screenshot:
5. Close the Advanced Find dialog box.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.