How to open attachments in edit mode (not read-only/protected view) in Outlook?
For example you received an email with an attachment of Word document in Outlook. When you double click the attachment to open it, the Word document is opening in Protect view, and then goes to the Read-only view after clicking the Enable Editing button. So how could you to open attachments in edit mode directly in Outlook? Two things you need to do:
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
First of all, you need to disable the protected view for Outlook attachments. This needs you to uncheck the Enable Protect View for Outlook attachments option in Microsoft Office programs.
For example you want to open the Attachments of Word documents directly in Outlook, Please do as follows:
1. Create a Word document, and click File > Options.
2. In the opening Word Options dialog box, click the Trust Center in the left bar, and then click the Trust Center Settings button. See screenshot:
3. Now in the Trust Center dialog box, click the Protected View in the left bar, and uncheck the Enable Protect View for Outlook attachments option. See screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK buttons to save the Word options, and then close the document without saving.
From now one, all attachments of Word documents won’t be opened in Protect view in Outlook.
Note: To prevent other types of Outlook attachments (says workbooks) from opening in Protect view, you need to uncheck the Enable Protect View for Outlook attachments in corresponding Microsoft Office programs (such as Excel).
Secondly, you can prevent attachment from opening in Read-only mode in Outlook with below steps:
5. In Outlook, go to the Mail view, open the mail folder containing the email with the specified attachment, and then open the email with double clicking.
6. Now the email opens in Message window. Please click Message > Actions > Edit Message. See screenshot:
7. Go to the Attachment Bar, and double click the specified attachment to open it.
8. And in the Opening Mail Attachment dialog box, please click the Open button.
And now the specified attachment is opening in edit mode directly (neither in Protect view nor in the Read-only view).
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoI have a question - I get the protective view part, it prompts you to think for a second before enabling content. But read only on ALL attachments? Why there is such a setting in the first place. How can I permanently disable this setting in outlook?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoGo into File - Options -- General -- Start up Options and uncheck: Open e-mail and other uneditable files in reading view
It will open right up without Read Only.