How to reply with quoting original message in Outlook?
When replying an email in Outlook, the original email will be added at the bottom of replying email automatically. And this article will guide you to add quote marks around original email to mimic quoting.
Office Tab: Enable Tabbed Editing and Browsing in Office, Just Like Chrome, Firefox, IE 8/9/10.
Classic Menu: Bring Old Menus and Toolbars Back to Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and 2019.
This method will guide you to configure Outlook options and add prefix line for original message in replying message to mimic quoting in Outlook. Please do as follows:
1. Click File > Options to open Outlook Options dialog box.
2. In the Outlook Options dialog box, please click Mail in the left bar, go to the Replies and forwards section, and then select Prefix each line of the original message from the When replying to a message drop down list. See screenshot:
3.Click the OK button to close the Outlook options dialog box.
From now on, when replying an email in Outlook, it will automatically quote original message with adding a blue line before it in the replying message. See screenshot:
Sometimes, you may need to quote only a part of original message in the replying message. Of course you can delete unnecessary content manually. But, here I will introduce Kutools for Outlook’s Reply Selection feature to help you reply with quoting a selection of original message easily.
Kutools for Outlook - With more than 20 handy Outlook add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days
1. Follow step 1-3 in above method to enable the Prefix each line of the original message option from the When replying to a message drop down list in Outlook Options dialog box.
2. In the Mail view, double click to open the email you will reply.
4. Now only the selection is quoted in the replying message. Please compose and send the replying message.
Recommended Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done a one-time processing in seconds.
- Forward multiple emails individually with one-click, and auto forward by rules.
- Auto CC/BCC every sending email and easy for customizing rules, and auto reply without requiring exchange server.
- Powerful junk emails filter, remove duplicate emails, reply with attachment, bunch of one-click operations, and so on...
- 60-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. 2 years free upgrade and support. Buy once, use forever.