How to stop Outlook from automatically marking emails as read?
Generally speaking, when you switch unread emails in the mailing list with the Reading Pane turning on, the emails will be marked as Read automatically. Sometimes, you may just want to switch emails but not read them. In this article, I will introduce the solution to stop Outlook from automatically marking email as Read when you clicking them in the mail list.
To stop Outlook from automatically marking emails as read when switching them in the mail list, you need to change the options of Reading Pane.
1. In the Mail view, click View > Reading Pane > Options. See screenshot:
2. In the Reading Pane dialog box, please uncheck both Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane and Mark items as read when selection changes options. See screenshot:
Note: Alternatively, you can also specify the options as follows: (1) check the Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane option, (2) enter the average time you spend on reading an email, and (3) uncheck the Mark item as read when selection changes option. See screenshot:
3. Click the OK button to save the changes.
From now on, when you switch unread emails in the mails list with the Reading Pane turning on, these emails will not be marked as Read automatically.
- Auto CC/BCC by rules when sending email; Auto Forward Multiple Emails by custom; Auto Reply without exchange server, and more automatic features...
- BCC Warning - show message when you try to reply all if your mail address is in the BCC list; Remind When Missing Attachments, and more remind features...
- Reply (All) With All Attachments in the mail conversation; Reply Many Emails in seconds; Auto Add Greeting when reply; Add Date into subject...
- Attachment Tools: Manage All Attachments in All Mails, Auto Detach, Compress All, Rename All, Save All... Quick Report, Count Selected Mails...
- Powerful Junk Emails by custom; Remove Duplicate Mails and Contacts... Enable you to do smarter, faster and better in Outlook.