How to move emails to specified folder after assigning certain category in Outlook?
Supposing you assigned a category to a received email in your Outlook, after assigning category, you want this email to move automatically to a certain email folder named with the category name. For example, an email assigned with category “Private” will be move to a folder name “Private” in your Outlook. How to achieve it? The method in this article can help you solve the problem with ease.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
The below VBA code can help to automatically move emails to specified folder after assigning certain category in Outlook. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click to open the ThisOutlookSession (Code) window. Then copy below VBA code into the window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Move emails to specified folder after assigning certain category
Private WithEvents xInboxFld As Outlook.Folder Private WithEvents xInboxItems As Outlook.Items Private Sub Application_Startup() Set xInboxFld = Outlook.Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox) Set xInboxItems = xInboxFld.Items End Sub Private Sub xInboxItems_ItemChange(ByVal Item As Object) Dim xMailItem As Outlook.MailItem Dim xFlds As Outlook.Folders Dim xFld As Outlook.Folder Dim xTargetFld As Outlook.Folder Dim xFlag As Boolean On Error Resume Next If Item.Class = olMail Then Set xMailItem = Item xFlag = False If xMailItem.Categories <> "" Then Set xFlds = Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders If xFlds.Count <> 0 Then For Each xFld In xFlds If xFld.Name = xMailItem.Categories Then xFlag = True End If Next End If If xFlag = False Then Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders.Add xMailItem.Categories, olFolderInbox End If Set xTargetFld = Application.Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders(xMailItem.Categories) xMailItem.Move xTargetFld End If End If End Sub
3. Save the code and restart the Outlook.
4. From now on, when assigning category to a receiving email, a folder with the category name will be created automatically under the Inbox folder with the email moved in. See screenshot:
Note: All emails assigned with the same category will be moved to the same folder automatically. But if a new category is assigned to an email, a new folder will be created automatically.
- How to assign category to outgoing email in Outlook?
- How to keep original categories when replying or forwarding email in Outlook?