How to insert file path and name into documents footer or header in word?
Inserting file path and name into document footer or header will help us know the location of the document. This tutorial will show you how to insert file path and name in footer or header in word.
1. Click Insert > Footer > Edit Footer to get into the Footer edit mode (If there is not footer in the document, you need to insert footer at first.). See screenshot:
2. Then click Design > Quick Parts > Field. See screenshots:
3. In the Field window, you need to:
3.1) Select Document Information in the Categories drop down list;
3.2) Select FileName in the Field names box;
3.3) Check the Add path to filename box and click OK. See screenshot:
Now the document's name and path is inserted to the document footer as below screenshot shown:
1. If you want to keep the formatting of the file during updates, please check
2. For updating the file name and path, please get into the footer edit mode, right click the footer and select Update Field from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. You also can use this way to insert file path and name into document Header.
The Insert File information utility of Kutools for Word can help you easily insert file name or path of a document to header or footer as you need. Please do as follows.
1. Open the Word document you want to insert file name or path into its header or footer, then click Kutools > Insert File Information. See screenshot:
1. In the opening Insert File Information dialog, select File name or File path in the Type section as you need, choose a position to insert in and click the OK button.
Then file name of file path is inserted into document header or footer as you specified in step 2.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...