How to save/create table style from existing table in Word?
For example you decorated a table in a Word document, and want to save it as a new table style. However, Microsoft Word doesn’t support to create a new table style from selection. Do not worry! This article will introduce a workaround to quickly save table style from existing table in Word at ease.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Although it’s impossible to create a new table style from selected table in Word, you can save the selected table as a Quick Table easily for reusing by clicks. Please do as follows:
1. Open the source document whose table you will save as table style, select the whole table, and press Ctrl + C keys together to copy it.
2. Put cursor at blank paragraph, press Ctrl + V keys to paste it, and then press Delete key to clear all table content.
3. Select the new blank table, and click Insert > Table > Quick Tables > Save Selection to Quick Tables Gallery. See screenshot:
4. In the popping out Create New Building Block dialog box, type a name in the Name box, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the new blank table is saved as a Quick Table.
(1) To reuse this quick table, please click Insert > Table > Quick Tables, and click the specified quick table in the submenu. See screenshot:
(2) You can’t apply this quick table style to an existing table.
(3) To remove the quick table from Quick Tables Gallery, please (1) click Insert > Table > Quick Tables, (2) right click the specified quick table in the submenu and select Organize and Delete as below screenshot shown, and finally (3) delete it from the popping out dialog box.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agothank you so much. You can just saved me so much time. You deserve a gold medal!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThis just saves the EXACT table with fixed rows and columns. Not a solution
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoYou can apply the style, but the content of the table you apply it to will disappear.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoHi Michael,
Yes, you are right. This Save Selection to Quick Tables Gallery feature can only save the table style.
For saving both the table style and table content, you can save the whole table as an AutoText entry: select the table > Insert > Quick Parts > Auto Text > Save Selection to AutoText Gallery