How to create a table of contents link to pages in Word document?
In Word, most of time, you may type a large of contents into the document. And for reading pages better, you may split them into several parts, such as list of figures, list of tables, abstract and so on. But have you ever tried to create a table of contents’ links to pages as below screenshot shown, so that you can quickly go to the specific part while clicking at the link? In this tutorial, I introduce the method on list a table of clickable contents in Word document.
1. Firstly, use Styles under Home tab consistently throughout your document to create your own structure in your document.
In this article, my structure looks like this:
- List of Figures (Heading 6)
- List of Tables (Heading 6)
- Acknowledgements (Heading 6)
- Abstract (Heading 6)
- 1. Introduction (Heading 1)
- 1.1 Introduction sub-section (Heading 2)
- 1.2 Introduction sub-section (Heading 2)
- 1.3 Introduction sub-section (Heading 2)
- 1.3.1 Sub-section (Heading 3)
- 2. Hypotheses and Goals (Heading 1)
2. Now place the cursor at the position you want to insert the table of linkable contents, click References > Table of Contents > Custom Table of Contents.
3. In the Table of Contents dialog, keep Show page numbers, Right align page numbers and Use hyperlinks instead of page numbers options checked, click Options.
4. In the Table of Contents Options dialog, give the level to the relative heading you use, in my case, I give the Heading 1 and Heading 6 the level 1.
5. Click OK > OK. Now the list of contents link to page have been created. You can press Ctrl key to display the clicking hand , then click at the content to jump to the relative page.
Tabbed browsing & editing multiple Word documents/Excel workbooks as Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explore 10!
You may be familiar to view multiple webpages in Firefox/Chrome/IE, and switch between them by clicking corresponding tabs easily. Here, Office Tab supports similar processing, which allow you to browse multiple Word documents or Excel workbooks in one Word window or Excel window, and easily switch between them by clicking their tabs.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 7 months agoExcellent! Thank you so much for this, extremely helpful and easy to follow!