How to replace soft returns with hard returns in Word?
If you want to format a Word document by replacing manual line breaks (soft returns) with paragraph marks (hard returns) in it. How can you do to replace soft returns with hard returns in Word quickly? This tutorial will show you several ways to convert soft returns to hard returns.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Hard Returns (paragraph marks) and Soft Returns (manual line breaks):
You can show paragraph marks and other hidden formatting symbols by clicking this Show/hidden button in the Home tab. See screenshot:
Hard Returns (paragraph marks) Symbol:
Soft Returns (manual line breaks) Symbol:
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
Normally you can replace soft returns (manual line breaks) with hard returns (paragraph marks) with the Find and Replace function, and it’s more convenient than replacing them one by one.
Step 1: Click Home > Replace to open the Find and Replace window;
Step 2: Click More button to bring up more Search Options;
Step 3: Place the cursor in the Find what box, and select Manual Line Break from the Special drop-down list;
Step 4: Place the cursor in the Replace with box, and select Paragraph Mark from the Special drop-down list;
Step 5: Click Replace All.
You can use the VBA code to replace soft returns (manual line breaks) with hard returns (paragraph marks) quickly.
Step 1: Press “Alt-F11” to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window;
Step 2: Click Module on the Insert tab, copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window;
Step 3: Then click Run button to apply the VBA.
The VBA code of converting soft returns (manual line breaks) to hard returns (paragraph marks):
.Text = "^l"
.Replacement.Text = "^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchFuzzy = False
It’s the most convenient way to convert soft returns (manual line breaks) to hard returns (paragraph marks) by using Kutools for Word. Kutools for Word provides one click operation to accomplish the converting.
After installing Kutools for Word, you can replace soft returns with hard returns as follows.
1. Please apply this utility by clicking Kutools > More > Convert Manual Line Breaks to Paragraph Marks. See screenshot:
2. After clicking Convert Manual Line Breaks to Paragraph Marks, you can see all soft marks are converted to hard marks from the whole document.
Besides convert all soft marks to hard marks from the whole document, Kutools for Word’s Convert Manual Line Breaks to Paragraph Marks utility allows you to convert all soft marks to hard marks from the selected part of the document.
For more detailed information about Manual Line Break to Paragraph Mark of Kutools for Word, please visit: Manual Line Break to Paragraph Mark.
If you want to replace hard returns with soft returns, please visit: replace hard returns with soft returns in Word.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...