How to replace underline with italic in word?
In some circumstances, you may need to replace all underline characters with italic or vice reserve in word. How could you quickly replace all underline characters with italic in Word? You can get it done according to the following two tricky ways in Word.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
Step 1：Step 1: Click Home > Replace (Word 2007.2010/2013) & using shortcuts Ctrl + H to launch the Find and Replace dialog;
Step 2: click More button to bring up Search option.
Step 3: put the cursor in Find What box, click Font from Format drop-down list to select the Underline style and Underline color
Step 4: put the cursor in Replace With box, click Font from Format drop-down list to select Italic in the Font style list.
Step 5: click OK>Replace All.
1. Click No Formatting to make sure no formatting information is specified in the Find What box and Replace With box before your operation.
2. This processing just make the text with underline italic, cannot remove underline.
Alternatively, you also can use VBA to replace underline with Italic. But if you are not good at macro, I do not recommend this method. Do as follows:
Step 1: Press Alt+F11 to open the VBA window in Word;
Step 2: Click Module in Insert tab, and insert the VBA code into Module window;
The VBA code to replace all underline characters with italic in Word.:
Sub ReplaceUnderlineWithItalic() 'Update 20131107 Selection.Find.ClearFormatting Selection.Find.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting Selection.Find.Replacement.Font.Italic = True With Selection.Find .Text = "" .Replacement.Text = "" .Replacement.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineNone .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindAsk .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchWildcards = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchAllWordForms = False End With Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll End Sub
Step 3: Click Runbutton to apply the VBA code (or press F5);
1. This code is only suit for single underline without color. You can change “wdUnderlineSingle” in the code to fit for other underline styles such as “wdUnderlineDouble” or “wdUnderlineThick”.
2. This code just make the text with underline italic, cannot remove underline.
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...