How to change straight quotes to curly quotes in word?
Normally the Microsoft Word will automatically change straight quotesto curly (smart ortypographer's) quotesas you type. But if the feature is turned off, both single and double quotes marks may appear straight in your document. Here are tips for you to change straight quotes to curly quotes and vice versa in Word .
Recommended Productivity Tools for Word
Amazing! Use Efficient Tabs in Word (Office) like Chrome, Firefox and New Internet Explorer!
Before applying Find and Replace, you should go to Auto Correct Options to uncheck the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box.
In Word 2003, Auto Correct Options is under the Tool bar. And in Word 2007, applying Auto Correct Options by clicking > Options > Proofing > Auto Correct Options. Here we take Word 2010/2013 for example:
Step 1. Click > Option > Proofing > Auto Correct Options > AutoFormat As You Type, and select “Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box. See screenshot：
Step 2. Click Home > Replace in the Editing group or press Ctrl + H to display Find and Replace dialog, and enter ‘or ‘’ in Find what box, and enter ‘ or ’’in Replace with box. See screenshot:
Step 3. Click Replace All.
Note: if you want to replace all curly quotes with straight quotes, please clear "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box).
To replace all straight quotes with curly quotes in Word 2010 with using VBA, please click File> Option > Proofing and click AutoCorrect Options and select the "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box as follows first. (Note: if you want to replace all curly quotes with straight quotes, please clear "Straight quotes" with "smart quotes" check box).
Step 1: Press “Alt-F11” to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Application window;
Step 2: Click Module on the Insert tab, copy and paste the following VBA code into the Module window;
Step 3: Then click Run button to apply the VBA.
The following VBA is to change straight quotes to curly quotes:
Sub ChangeDoubleStraightQuotes() 'Update 20131107 Selection.Find.ClearFormatting Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting With Selection.Find .Text = """" .Replacement.Text = """" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindContinue .Format = False .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord =False .MatchWildcards = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchAllWordForms = False End With Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll End Sub
The following VBA is to change curly quotes to straight quotes:
Sub ReplaceSmartQuotes() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim vReplText As Variant Dim i As Long vFindText = Array("[^0145^0146]", "[^0147^0148]") vReplText = Array("^039", "^034") With Selection.Find .ClearFormatting .Replacement.ClearFormatting .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindContinue .MatchWholeWord = True .MatchWildcards = True For i = LBound(vFindText) To UBound(vFindText) .Text = vFindText(i) .Replacement.Text = vReplText(i) .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll Next i End With End Sub
Recommended Word Productivity Tools
- Complicated and repeated operations can be done one-time processing in seconds.
- Insert multiple images across folders into Word document at once.
- Merge and combine multiple Word files across folders into one with your desired order.
- Split the current document into separate documents according to heading, section break or other criteria.
- Convert files between Doc and Docx, Docx and PDF, collection of tools for common conversions and selection, and so on...
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThe VBA code method for changing "straight" to "smart" quotes worked perfectly! Thank you!
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoMy problem is that I have work normally in German but have an English document, which I marked as "English". Then I did find&replace and it converted them to lower " and upper " as it would happen in German. I looked at all the settings but I couldn't find it. I changed the dictionary language and everything else I could find to English... any idea?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 months agoThis is my problem too. Did you ever find an answer?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 6 years agoYour explanation for replacing in Find/Replace from instruction #2 on is completely incomprehensible.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoI think I found the explanation on another page. If you simply do a replace all and ask it to replace either single quotes or double quotes with the exact same symbol, it will go through and apply your autocorrect rules, including to replace straight quotes with smart quotes. So it should update those all to smart quotes as it goes.