How to find duplicate values in two columns in Excel?
When we use a worksheet, sometimes we need to compare two columns and find the same values. For example, I have two long columns of student names, and now, I want to compare them and find out the same names. If I compare them cell by cell, it will be tiresome and waste a lot of time. Are there any quick ways to finish this task?
Look at the following screenshot, I have column A (A2:A15) and column C (C2:C13) which contain some duplicate names.
By using a formula, we can compare two columns and display the duplicate values. Please do with the following steps:
1. In cell B2, input this formula: =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(A2,$C$2:$C$13,0)),"",A2).
Note: In the above formula: A2 is the column which you want to be compared. $C$2:$C$13 is the range that you want to be compared with. You can change the variables for what you are using.
2. Press the Enter key. Select cell B2, and then drag the fill handle over cell B15. And all of the duplicate names will be displayed in column B. See screenshot:
Easily Combine columns or rows without losing data in Excel
|With Kutools for Excel's Combine Columns and Rows utility, you can quickly combine multuple cells based on row/column and separated by comma or space, or combine a range of cells into a single cell with specific separator. |
For instance, here I do thses operations: (1.)Select Select Combine columns under To combine selected cells according to following options; (2.)Specify a separator for the combined data, here I select Space; (3.))Specify the cell you want to place your combined result; (4.)Specify how you want to deal with the combined cells. Click for full-featured free trial in 30 days!
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
The following VBA code can also help you to find out the duplicate values between two columns.
1. Click Developer > Visual Basic, a new Microsoft Visual Basic for applications window will be displayed, click Insert > Module, and input the following code into the Module:
VBA code: find duplicates from two columns
Sub Compare() Dim Range1 As Range, Range2 As Range, Rng1 As Range, Rng2 As Range, outRng As Range xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set Range1 = Application.Selection Set Range1 = Application.InputBox("Range1 :", xTitleId, Range1.Address, Type:=8) Set Range2 = Application.InputBox("Range2:", xTitleId, Type:=8) Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each Rng1 In Range1 xValue = Rng1.Value For Each Rng2 In Range2 If xValue = Rng2.Value Then If outRng Is Nothing Then Set outRng = Rng1 Else Set outRng = Application.Union(outRng, Rng1) End If End If Next Next outRng.Select Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
2. Click button to execute the code, in the popped out box select Range 1 that you want to compare.
3. Click OK and go on selecting Range 2 that you will be compared with.
4. Then click OK, and the duplicate values both in column A and column C have been selected in column A.
Note: If you want to select the duplicates from column C, you just need to swap the two selected columns.
With the help of Kutools for Excel, you can find the duplicate values quickly and comfortably.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells.
1. In the Select Same & Different Cells dialog box, do the following operations:
(1.) Click the first button to select the source column to be compared, then click the second button to select the column you are compared with;
(2.) Choose Each row under the Based on section;
(3.) Then select Same Values fromt he Find section;
(4.) At last, you can choose one background or font color to highlight the same cells under the Processing of resuts section as you need.
2. Then click OK, and the same values both in column A and column B have been selected in column A.
With this utility, you can also find the different values between two columns.
- My data has headers: If the data you are compared has headers, you can check this option, and the headers will not be compared.
- Select entire rows: With this option, the entire rows which contain the same values will be selected.
- Case Sensitive: Checking this option, you will compare the columns with case sensitive.
- The two comparing ranges must contain the same number of columns.
- If you want to select the duplicates from column C, you just need to swap the two selected columns.
|Kutools for Excel: 300 + functions you must have in Excel, 60-day free trial from here.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
Sometimes, you may want to find the duplicate values in a column, the Kutools for Excel also can help you quickly handle it.
1. Select the column you want to find duplicate values, click Kutools > Select > Select Duplicate & Unique Cells.
2. In the Select Duplicate & Unique Cells dialog, check Duplicates or All duplicates option as you need, and at the same time, you can decide to highlight the duplicates with background or font color or not in Processing of results section.
3. Click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you the number of selected duplicate cells, click OK to close it, and the duplicates are selected and highlighted.