How to change or convert number to text in Excel?
Sometimes you may not want the numbers in the cells getting involved in calculating, or you may want to display leading zeros in numbers in cells. For doing so, you may need to change a number into text. The following methods can convert numbers in cells to text in Excel.
If you are familiar with Microsoft Excel's formulas, you can convert numbers in cells to text with Text function.
If you just only want to convert the number to text without any formatting, you can use the formula: =TEXT(A1,"0");
1. In cell E1, please enter the formula =TEXT(A1,"0").
2. Then press Enter key. And select the cell E1, drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula.See screenshot:
Note: As the data is formula, you can change the formulas to values. Copy the cells and right-click where you want to paste the values and select Paste special > Values.
If you want to display the leading zero in numbers, you can use this formula: =TEXT(A1,"00000"); such as convert 23 to 00023.
As the above steps, if you apply this formula, you will get the following result:
And if you want to convert the numbers to text which keep several decimal digits, you can use this formula: =TEXT(A1,"0.000"). Such as convert 23 to 23.000.
Also with above steps, if you apply this formula, you will get the result as the following screenshots:
Note: you can define the text style. For example, if you want to convert the numbers to text with a telephone number format, you can replace the "000" with "00-00000", or others.
Convert or spell out numbers to English or Chinese currency:
With Kutools for Excel's Numbers to Words feature, you can spell out numbers into English and Chinese words in Excel.For example, it can spell out the "12.75" to "Twelve dollars and seventy-five cents".
Kutools for Excel: with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Download and free trial Now!
Microsoft Excel's Format Cells command is also able to convert numbers to text.
1. Select the numbers that you want to convert to text.
2. Right click the selected range, and choose the Format Cells item from context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Format Cells dialog box, select the Text item in the Category box under Number tab, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
4. Then numbers in selected range are converted into text.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed, it will be easier for you to convert numbers in cells to text with Convert between Text and Number.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
1. Select the range with numbers that you want to change to text.
2. Click Kutools > Content > Convert between Text and Number. See screenshot:
3. In the Convert between Text and Number dialog box, check the Number to text option, and then click the OK or Apply button. And all numbers have been converted to text in the original range. See screenshot: