Excel Formula: Calculate difference between two times
To calculate the difference between two times, this tutorial provides a simple formula and also explains how to use it in Excel.
If you want to follow along with this tutorial, please download the example spreadsheet.
|Time1, time2: the two times you want to calculate the difference.|
This formula returns a numeric value, between 0-1.
How this formula work
To calculate the difference between time 1 and time 2 in cell B3 and B4, please use below formula:
Press Enter key to get the number.
Format the cell to a time format you want by pressing Ctrl + 1 to open the Format Cells dialog, then choose a time format.
Then drag autofill handle over cells that need to calculate difference of times.
IF function: Perform a simple logical test depending on the comparison result, and it returns one value if a result is TRUE, or another value if result is FALSE.
As if the difference between two times is a negative value, Excel will display it as #####. For avoiding this, we use IF function. Supposing time2 is larger than time1, then it displays the result as time2 -time1, if does not match this condition, it shows the result as time1-time2.
This formula cannot handle durations greater than 24 hours.
- Calculate days remaining in month
In this tutorial, it provides a formula to quickly calculate the days remaining in month in Excel.
- Calculate days remaining from today
Sometimes, you may want to know how many days remaining until expiration from today of each food product. In Excel, there is a formula that can help you to quickly get the remaining days.
- Calculate Days Remaining Between Two Dates
Here, this tutorial provides a formula to quickly calculate the left days between two dates.
- Calculate Network Time With Break In A Timesheet
It provides the formula which uses the MOD function to calculate the network time with breaks in Excel.
- Excel IF Function
Test for specified conditions, then returns the corresponding values
- Excel VALUE Function
Convert text to number.
- Excel MONTH Function
The MONTH is used to get the month as integer number (1 to 12) from date.
- Excel DAY Function
DAY function gets the day as a number (1 to 31) from a date
- Excel YEAR Function
The YEAR function returns the year based on the given date in a 4-digit serial number format.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel - Helps You To Stand Out From Crowd
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
Office Tab - Enable Tabbed Reading and Editing in Microsoft Office (include Excel)
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.