Excel Formula: Convert Date to Julian
Sometimes, you need to convert the standard date to the Julian date in Excel, here this article introduces a formula which combines the TEXT, YEAR and DATE functions to solve this job.
If you want to follow along with this tutorial, please download the example spreadsheet.
|Date: the date you want to convert to Julian date.|
This formula returns a Julian date in a text(yyd) format. First two digits represent the two-digits year, the else numbers represent the number of days.
How this formula work
A list of dates are in cell B3:B6, to convert them to Julian date, please use below formula：
Press Enter key, then drag autofill handle down to apply this formula.
TEXT function converts a number to a text in a specific format. As we know, the date is stored as a number in Excel, here the TEXT function converts the date to text in the yy format.
YEAR function gets the year from a date.
DATE function combines year, month, and day numbers from separate cells to a valid date. Here the formula
Tip: if the day number is less than 1, it will subtract absolute number of days from the first day of the month.
If you want to get the Julian date in 4-digit year and 3-digit day number, please use below formula
- Calculate Difference Between Two Dates
Here in this tutorial, it introduces the formulas on calculating difference between two dates in years, months, weeks, and days.
- Convert date string to datetime
Sometimes, while you import or paste some datetime data from other devices to Excel, the datetimes maybe not be recognized as proper dates...
- Calculate Days Remaining Between Two Dates
Here, this tutorial provides a formula to quickly calculate the left days between two dates.
- Calculate Hours Minutes Seconds Between Two Times
Here in this tutorial, it introduces some formulas to quickly present the time difference result as single time unit.
- Excel IF Function
Test for specified conditions, then returns the corresponding values
- Excel VALUE Function
Convert text to number.
- Excel MONTH Function
The MONTH is used to get the month as integer number (1 to 12) from date.
- Excel DAY Function
DAY function gets the day as a number (1 to 31) from a date
- Excel YEAR Function
The YEAR function returns the year based on the given date in a 4-digit serial number format.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel - Helps You To Stand Out From Crowd
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
Office Tab - Enable Tabbed Reading and Editing in Microsoft Office (include Excel)
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.