Count number of characters in a cell in Excel
You can easily count the total characters in a cell with the LEN function in Excel. The total characters not only includes all letters, but also all spaces, punctuation marks and symbols in the cell.
How to count number of characters in a cell in Excel?
Text: The text string’s length you want to count. It can be:
1. The text string enclosed in quotation marks;
2. Or a reference to a cell containing the text string.
How to use this formula?
Supposing you have a list of cells as the below screenshot shown, and you want to count the total characters for each cell in the list, please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to output the result.
2. Enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key.
3. Select the first result cell, and then drag the Fill Handle to apply the formula to other cells. See screenshot:
Then you can see all characters which including the letters, numbers, symbols and spaces that appear in each cell are counted.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.