Extract last line of text from a multi-line cell
To extract the last line of text from a text string which is separated by line breaks, normally, there is no direct way for you to solve this. This article, I will introduce a formula to deal with this task in Excel.
Extract the last line of text from a multi-line cell in Excel
In Excel, you can create a formula based on the TRIM, RIGHT, SUBSTITUTE and REPT functions to extract the last line from a multi-line cell. The generic syntax is:
- text: the text string or cell value that you want to extract last line from.
- 200: the number 200 is a random number which should be big enough to handle the long lines, you can adjust it to bigger if your lines are longer.
1. Please enter or copy the below formula into a blank cell:
2. Then, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to apply this formula, and all the last line texts in each cell have been extracted as below screenshot shown:
Explanation of the formula:
- SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),REPT(" ",200): This SUBSTITUTE function is used to find all line breaks (char10) in cell A2 and replace each one with 200 space characters.
- RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),REPT(" ",200)),200): The RIGHT function is used to extract 200 characters from the right side of the new text returned by the SUBSTITUTE function.
- TRIM(): This TRIM function removes all leading spaces from the text returned by the RIGHT function.
Relative functions used:
- The REPT function is used to repeat the characters a specified number of times.
- The SUBSTITUTE function replaces text or characters within a text string with another text or characters.
- The RIGHT function returns the text from right of the text string.
- The TRIM function removes all extra spaces from text string and only keeps single spaces between words.
- Get Or Extract The First Word From Text String In Excel
- To extract all the first words from a list of text strings which are separated by spaces, the LEFT and FIND function in Excel can do you a favor.
- Get Or Extract The Last Word From Text String In Excel
- To extract the last word from text string which are separated by the space characters, normally, you can create a formula based on the TRIM, SUBSTITUTE, RIGHT and REPT functions in Excel.
- Extract Substring From Text String In Excel
- It may be a common task for you that you need to extract substrings from text strings, in Excel, there is not a direct function for doing this, but, with the help of the LEFT, RIGHT, MID and SEARCH functions, you can extract kinds of substrings as you need.