Get information corresponding to maximum value
To retrieve data that are corresponding to the maximum value in a list, table or row in Excel, you can use an INDEX and MATCH formula together with the MAX function.
How to lookup the information related to the maximum value in a range?
To find out the person who made the highest sales in the table as shown above, you can take advantage of the MAX function to extract the highest sales from the sales range. And then add the MATCH function to locate the position of the highest sales in that range. At last, the INDEX function will retrieve the value at the corresponding position supplied by MATCH.
- return_range: The range that INDEX returns the information corresponding to the maximum value from. Here refers to the name range.
- lookup_array: The range that MATCH and MAX locate the maximum value from. Here refers to the sales range.
To find out the person who made the highest sales, please copy or enter the formula below in the cell F5, and press Enter to get the result:
Explanation of the formula
- MAX(C5:C10): The MAX function retrieves the largest value from the range C5:C10, which is 26931.
- MATCH(MAX(C5:C10),C5:C10,0) = MATCH($26931,C5:C10,0): The match_type 0 asks the MATCH function to find the position of the exact value 26931 in the range C5:C10, which is 3.
- INDEX(B5:B10,MATCH(MAX(C5:C10),C5:C10,0)) = INDEX(B5:B10,3): The INDEX function returns the 3rd value in the name range B5:B10, which is Samantha.
Excel INDEX function
The Excel INDEX function returns the displayed value based on a given position from a range or an array.
Excel MATCH function
The Excel MATCH function searches for a specific value in a range of cells, and returns the relative position of the value.
Locate maximum value in a range
There are cases when you need to locate the position of the maximum value in a list, table or row in Excel. In this tutorial, we will discuss the approach to accomplish the task with the MAX and MATCH functions.
Lookup next largest match with INDEX and MATCH
To find the next largest match number, or we say the smallest value that is greater than or equal to the specific number in a range of numeric values in Excel, you can use an INDEX and MATCH formula with -1 as the match type.
Lookup closest match value with multiple criteria
In some cases, you may need to lookup the closest or approximate match value based on more than one criteria. With the combination of INDEX, MATCH and IF functions, you can quickly get it done in Excel.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Edge and Firefox.
Please leave your comments in English