Get last text value in a column
Suppose you have a list of data that contains numbers, dates, text, errors and Boolean values (TRUE and FALSE), to get the last text value from the list, a formula based on the INDEX and MATCH functions can do you a favor.
How to retrieve the last text value in a list?
To retrieve the last text value in the list as shown above, the INDEX and MATCH functions will help you in this way: The MATCH function that was set to perform an exact match locates the position of the last text value. INDEX will then retrieve the value at that position.
√ Note: The lookup value "*" can match any number of characters. It does not match errors, numbers or Boolean values (TURE and FALSE).
- range: The list (one-column range) where to return the last text value from.
To retrieve the last text value in the list, please copy or enter the formula below in the cell E4, and press Enter to get the result:
Explanation of the formula
- MATCH("*",B4:B15,-1): The match_type -1 forces the MATCH function to return the position of the last text value in the range B4:B15. So, the function will return 8.
- INDEX(B4:B15,MATCH("*",B4:B15,-1)) = INDEX(B4:B15,8): The INDEX function then returns the 8th value from the range B4:B15, which is Office Tab.
Excel INDEX function
The Excel INDEX function returns the displayed value based on a given position from a range or an array.
Excel MATCH function
The Excel MATCH function searches for a specific value in a range of cells, and returns the relative position of the value.
Get first text value in a column
To retrieve the first text value from a one-column range, you can use a formula based on INDEX and MATCH functions as well as a formula based on the VLOOKUP function.
Get first non-blank value in a column or row
To retrieve the first value (the first cell that is not blank, ignoring errors) from a one-column or one-row range, you can use a formula based on INDEX and MATCH functions. However, if you don’t want to ignore the errors from your range, you can add an ISBLANK function to the above formula.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings
300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save
80% time for you.
- Designed for
1500 work scenarios, helps you solve
80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by
50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.