Get or extract the last word from text string in Excel
To extract the last word from text string which are separated by the space characters, normally, you can create a formula based on the TRIM, SUBSTITUTE, RIGHT and REPT functions in Excel.
Get or extract the last words from a list of text strings in Excel
The generic syntax for extracting the last word from a text string is:
- text: The text string or cell value that you want to extract last word from.
- 100: The number 100 is a random number which should be big enough to handle the long words, you can change it if your words are longer.
1. Please copy the below formula into a blank cell where you want to output the result:
2. And then, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to fill this formula to other cells, and all the last words have been extracted from the text strings as following screenshot shown:
Explanation of the formula:
SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",100)): This SUBSTITUTE function replaces each single space with 100 spaces between each word in cell A2.
RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ",REPT(" ",100)),100): This RIGHT function will extract 100 characters from right of the new text string returned by the SUBSTITUTE function.
TRIM(): The TRIM function is used to remove all leading spaces.
Relative functions used:
- The RIGHT function returns the text from right of the text string.
- The SUBSTITUTE function replaces text or characters within a text string with another text or characters.
- The TRIM function removes all extra spaces from text string and only keeps single spaces between words.
- The REPT function is used to repeat the characters a specified number of times.
- Get Or Extract The First Word From Text String In Excel
- To extract all the first words from a list of text strings which are separated by spaces, the LEFT and FIND function in Excel can do you a favor.
- Extract Substring From Text String In Excel
- It may be a common task for you that you need to extract substrings from text strings, in Excel, there is not a direct function for doing this, but, with the help of the LEFT, RIGHT, MID and SEARCH functions, you can extract kinds of substrings as you need.
- Extract Last Line Of Text From A Multi-Line Cell
- To extract the last line of text from a text string which is separated by line breaks, normally, there is no direct way for you to solve this. This article, I will introduce a formula to deal with this task in Excel.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel - Helps You To Stand Out From Crowd
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
Office Tab - Enable Tabbed Reading and Editing in Microsoft Office (include Excel)
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.