Get week number from date in Excel
In Excel, how could you get week number from the given date quickly and easily? Normally, the WEEKNUM function can help you to solve this task as quickly as possible.
- Calculate to get the week number from date in a year
- Calculate to get the week number from date in a month
By default, the WEEKNUM function can help you to get the week number from any given date in a year, the generic syntax is:
- date: The date that you want to get the week number from.
- return_type: Optional. A number that determines a day the week begins. Default number is 1. (indicates the week begins from Sunday)
- DATE: This function is used to combine year, month and day numbers from separate cells into a valid date.
The number of return_type indicates the week begins:
|Return_type||Week begins on|
|1 or 17 or omitted||Sunday|
|2 or 11||Monday|
|21||Monday (ISO week date system)|
Tips: For the WEEKNUM function, there are two different week numbering systems are used:
- System 1: The week contains January 1 is considered the 1st week of the year. In this system, the week traditionally starts on Sunday.
- System 2: (ISO week date system) In this system, the week begins on Monday, and the week number 1 is set to the first week of the year that contains a Thursday.
All of the return types listed above apply to System 1, but the return type 21 is used in System 2.
To calculate the week number from date in traditional system:
For getting the week number from the given date, you can use the below formula:
And then, drag the fill handle down to the cells that you want to use, and all week numbers have been returned from the dates:
To calculate the week number from date in ISO system:
If you need to return the ISO week number from some dates, please apply the following formula:
And then, you will get the following result:
Sometimes, you need to get the week numbers within months instead of years, in Excel, there isn’t a direct function for doing this. But you can combine the WEEKNUM, DATE and MONTH FUNCTIONS together to solving this task.
Calculate week numbers of month from date (A week beginning on Sunday):
Please enter or copy the below formula into a blank cell where you want to get the result:
And then, you will get the results as following screenshot shown:
Calculate ISO week numbers of month from date (A week beginning on Monday):
For getting the ISO week numbers of a month from the date, you should use the following formula:
And all the ISO week numbers of the month have been extracted as below screenshot shown:
Relative functions used:
- This function is used to extract the week number from the given date.
Relative week number articles:
- Convert Week Number To Date Or Vice Versa In Excel
- Is there a way to get the week number from a given date or extract the date range from a specific week number and year in Excel?
- Get Month From Week Number And Year In Excel
- If you have two columns in Excel, one contains year numbers, the other contains week numbers, just shown as below, how can you get the months directly from them in the next column?
- Count / Calculate Weeks / Months / Years Between Two Dates In Excel
- Have you ever considered calculating how many weeks, months or years between two given dates in Excel?
- Add / Subtract Weeks To Date In Excel
- In this tutorial, you can get the tricks to add n weeks to date or subtract n weeks from data in Excel.