Split number into individual digits in Excel
This tutorial explains how to use a combination of the MID and COLUMN functions to split a specific number in a cell into individual digits in Excel.
How to split number into individual digits in Excel?
As the below screenshot shown, you want to separate number in each cell into individual digits. Please do as follows to get it done.
$B3: Represents the cell containing the number you want to split into individual digits;
$D3: Represents the cell to output the first digit of the number.
How to use this formula?
1. Select a blank cell to output the first digit. In this case, I select D3.
2. Enter the below formula into it and press the Enter key. Then the first digit of the number in cell B3 has been extracted.
3. Select the result cell, and then drag its Fill Handle right to apply the formula to the right cells until all digits of the number in B3 are extracted.
4. Keep the above cells selecting, and then drag the Fill Handle down to get all digits of other cells in column B. See screenshot.
How this formula works?
1. COLUMN(): In this case, I select cell D3 to enter the formula, so the COLUMN function here returns 4, because column D is the fourth column in the worksheet;
2. COLUMN($D3): Here the COLUMN function returns the column number of the reference $D3. Here the result is 4;
3. MID(12345,4-(4- 1),1): The MID function extracts one digit from the number "12345", starting at the first digit.
Excel MID function
The Excel MID dunction returns a specific number of characters from a text string, starting at the position you specify, based on the number of characters you specify.
Excel COLUMN function
The Excel COLUMN function returns the number of column which formula appears or returns the column number of given reference.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Would you like to complete your daily work quickly and perfectly? Kutools for Excel brings 300 powerful advanced features (Combine workbooks, sum by color, split cell contents, convert date, and so on...) and save 80% time for you.
- Designed for 1500 work scenarios, helps you solve 80% Excel problems.
- Reduce thousands of keyboard and mouse clicks every day, relieve your tired eyes and hands.
- Become an Excel expert in 3 minutes. No longer need to remember any painful formulas and VBA codes.
- 30-day unlimited free trial. 60-day money back guarantee. Free upgrade and support for 2 years.
- One second to switch between dozens of open documents!
- Reduce hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day, say goodbye to mouse hand.
- Increases your productivity by 50% when viewing and editing multiple documents.
- Brings Efficient Tabs to Office (include Excel), Just Like Chrome, Firefox, And New Internet Explorer.